Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do your Parrotlets like to chew on Yucca kbobs? Chipper loves hers! I hung it in her cage and it took a while, but now she loves it! :D

·
Registered
486 Posts
Hmmmm. It's hard to tell from the pictures. The American Indians used yucca root as a soap, so it would surprise me if that was the part of the plant used for a kabob. The flower stalks are round; maybe that is what they sliced to make kabobs. The leaves would be crescent shaped if they were sliced.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Katie loves them if they are separated into individual disks. As they come the assembly is too big and it scares her.
I just tie one block at a time on her cage, usually on the door so it's horizontal when the door is open. She could rip on that thing forever.
One side of each block is pretty hard, and she can't break through that part so after she gets the soft part destroyed we "hand-me-down" the rest to our GCC who has no trouble taking care of the rest.

I'm not sure where windycity got their info, but I'm fairly positive they are actually agave wood. It's a type of cactus.

Regardless, Katie is standing beside me as I type this showing one of those blocks who's boss. It was the first toy that we were actually able to get her interested in and still by far her favorite.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
I have the Bird Kabob in my birds cage – Mine loved shredding them – but since they have been together they pretty much ignore the toys – I’m sure in time they will get back to them.

I just did a google on them and some sites say they are made from Yucca plants – another site said they are bamboo – makes you wonder what they are actually made of :eek: :cool: :eek:

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Most of the sites I read say the Wesco Kabobs are made from soft Yucca wood – There seems to be other types of Kabobs out there besides the disks on the rope – Some actually look like lengths of bamboo shoots – so there may be different types made from different materials :confused:

·
Registered
486 Posts
So now we know at least some part of a species of yucca and of a bamboo make a safe toy for birds. I, too, wondered about agave. It takes close to 100 years for it to bloom, and the flower stalk is fairly big around. This reminds me that some people let parrots chew on aloe leaves (fresh) claiming that they know not to mess with the bitter part just under the skin. Do you think dried-up aloe leaves (from my plant) would be okay as a chew toy?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts