Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to have your opinion....If I were going to purchase my first pet P'let, from your experience would you recommend I get a Male or Female, a Pacific or Green Rump?
Thanks Linda

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Females are much calmer and quieter.

Male can be problematic but are more entertaining.

Regards,

Art S.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
I second what Art said -

It all depends on what you are looking for –

Also Green Rumps are sweeter, and less nippy than the Pacifics – although they are less bold – and shy compared to the Pacifics.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Yeah I agree with Art too.

It depends on what you are looking for. I wanted a hyperactive critter that was loud and social like me, so I got a male :)

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
My female, Chipper is quiet. I need a quiet bird. She is VERY entertaining. VERY much loves to play with her toys and loves us. We love her very much!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Bibi is a female Green Rump, sweet, quite calm but still with a lot of caracter! (I think no p'let is ever boring :) )
Although I think that if you spend enough time and attention to your bird, all birds will be social, friendley and can get very 'tame'.

·
Registered
835 Posts
My female pacifics tend to be bossier, the males a little more laid back. Both are busy bodeies and trouble makers.

My green rump male is not timid, the hen is a little bit. Both are very sweet and gentle, I would not consider them bossy or trouble makers by any means.

The pacifics, from my experience, just have stronger personalities. The green rumps are very sweet, but I like the trouble makers :)

There are excpetions to everything though, I have had some female pacifics that are very low key. I have had some males that become timid like the green rumps are often labeled.

It has a lot to do with how they are raised and socialized. I prefer a source (breeder, whatever) that does the best they can to expose the birds to a lot of people, places, things, etc. I don't like one that "shelters" the babies b/c these are the ones that usually grow up to be timid. They don't learn the skills early in life. They can learn them later, but it is not as easy. They should be raised in an environment where they can constantly be learning by being pushed - they gain so much confidence this way.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
I can’t wait to see how my female Pacific turns out – she’s as sweet as pie now – but she’s still a baby [all young Parrots are as sweet as pie :p ] – even at three months she will stand up to the male if he grooms her too hard – I have a feeling she's gonna run that show when she’s grown :D

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Yes, the house they are in makes a diff. We have a quiet home. She is the only bird. My little Shih Tzu doggie is also a quiet angel.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts