Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had Gwen for a little over a year now and she's always been a bit shy. It took forever for her to step up onto fingers though she avoids that most of the time. She just won't come out of the cage on her own and once I get her out, she usually just flies right back in. She's the sweetest thing and I love her...I want her to come out and play or at least just fly around and spend some time outside of her cage. Any suggestions on how I can get her to come out?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Cosmo will come out of his home on his own. But if I want to get him out I have to use a perch

·
Registered
8 Posts
I got Theo when he was 7 weeks old. When I got him home, he would not come out of his cage unless I actually reached in and grabbed him and brought him out. He would not even consider stepping up on my finger. I then started putting my finger in his cage right beside his perch. After a copule of days, he got used to stepping onto my finger. Now as soon as I put my finger in his cage he is waiting to get on my finger to come out. Keep working with her and she will get used to staying out of the cage.

MARK

·
Registered
70 Posts
Try one of the bird "playgrounds" that are out there. Clip a piece of millet or other goody to on of it's perches. The millet or goody should be something she likes that she can only get on the playground. I use millet, and I don't offer it in the cage, so my birds are all excited to see it when they come out.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I would personally use treats to help with getting her out and taming her a bit more. She will learn that your hands produce yummy and good things, and will trust them more over time and associate good things with them.

I feel (and do) the opposite of Kathy. I think that leaving the cage door open is a good thing. You are trying to work on trust right now. I've never known a bird that was more aggresive or anything because you left the cage door open and let it choose whether it wants to come out or not. I think it's good to give the bird a choice. If it wants to come out, it will, and if not, it won't. I don't believe in forcing a bird to come out, it only wrecks any trust you've built up. Yes, you are supposed to be the more dominant one, but that doesn't come around by forcing anything or always making the bird do what you want, when you want.

Granted, there are times you have to make a bird do something it may not want to do. Such as bedtimes, when your putting the bird back in the cage, etc. There is a time and place for it tho.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Kathy, glad you think the same way!

I hope you don't think I was being mean or anything by saying that. I feel that everyone has their own way of doing things, and those ways work for them and their bird. I think it's good to say something too (like in this instance) in case the intended reader got a different view than what you may be meaning, so it can be reiterrated in a different way. I know how it is on the net and not seeing the person's emotions or having the chance to just say "what do ya mean?".

I know what you mean tho. I have our birds in our baby's room (it's actually the only place for them right now actually). It works great cause I can go in, close the door and their safe. No cat, no food cooking, no way to escape and land in the toilet or something.They can fly all over and it doesn't matter, the worst is they might land on a stuffed teddy or something. Their's a very light blanket over the window, and it's pulled down if their coming out so they see that it isn't a getaway out of the room, since they aren't seeing the window. It makes me feel a lot better. But when they aren't in a room like that, it can get pretty dangerous for them to just choose when to come out. I wouldn't leave the door open all day for them, unless your bird is VERY well trained. But just when you have secured the area for them (like you said)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts