Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I'm sure I'm going to open up some quick dialog on this one...should a Parrotlet's wings be clipped to only allow some flight? I have read two versions of this issue. I read somewhere that for their mental well being as well as physical exercise that you should never clip a Parrotlet's wings and then I read that they should always be clipped since they do not have the appropriate control is they have full flight. My parrotlet is like a bullet with flight wings and has amazing control and maneuvers just fine. My parakeets have full flight and I put this question out to the group. Thoughts..:confused:

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
It depends.

Can you provide a safe place for him to fly? If you can, then why clip?

I have not clipped Gelato's wings and he has full control when flying. He's had what I considered close calls, but he is so nimble that he was never truly at risk of injury. He knows where he is allowed to be, and he goes there. I've not had any problems w/ him.

Hpnotiq has her wings clipped, but not by my choice. I don't like her not being able to fly. I really don't like it at all.... Pam clipped all flight feathers and she just falls. So I have to be very careful with her now.... I hate that she can't fly, especially because she wants to. . . plus she can't get good exercise.

The one thing I feel about when it comes to birds and flight is nutrition. Since for these guys, it is believed a seed diet is more healthy than a pelleted diet, they will be consuming more fat. No matter species, fatty liver disease is a problem. The fat has to be burned, and flying is a good way to burn the extra caloires and keep them healthy.

Gelato flies and flies. He rests and eats... and goes flying some more. It's good for him. Hpnotiq is eating seed and can't fly. SO we will practice flight. She perches on my pinky with my hand cupped and we do circle. She flaps her wings for a while and then we rest and eat some.

We did this only once today because she was flapping non stop. I'm trying to keep her as calm as possible since she may be a ilttle sick.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great, I will allow Kiwi her flight since she does very well and the only thing I have to watch is her desire to give the parakeets a run for their money. She invades their tree and they fly and then she goes after them. She is incredibly fast. Since I read conflicting information, I guess it may vary from bird to bird .. i would hate to have any harm come to her. Thanks for the guidance.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I'm glad this is your decision. We have done it both ways with Bitsy, and he is FAR happier flighted. He doesn't make "mistakes" any more, and is just the happiest little guy since he is flighted. Good luck!

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
I think birds should fly if they can be safe. They cannot fly free as wil parrots to so I want Chipper to fly in the house. She gets joy from it, freedom and exercise.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Very good decision. My breeder had Oscar's wings clipped, and to be honest, I did it once, too.

That was when he was two months old. I haven't clipped since. The feathers are still growing. They grow very slow. But, he is making progress, and I am helping him learn to fly. I can tell that he can't wait until the day he can fly. LOL

But my cockatiel's wings grow fast. When I used to clip them, he could fly again within about three weeks.

But now, he is a pro, and follows me everywhere in the house.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Finn's wings are 'trimmed'. I live in an apartment with two roommates on the third floor. He learned to fly well before I trimmed him, but I didn't feel it would be safe for him to be fully flighted while I'm living with other people, as I can't control my roommate's actions. He can only get a little lift when he flies, but navigates really well and can get from one side of my room to the other easily. c: When I live on my own, he will be allowed to be fully flighted.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Tommaso was clipped when we brought him home at 8 weeks old. I did let his wings grow and he is such a happy flyer. He is very quick with his landings. He lands so perfectly. When he flies and then lands he looks like he has such a joy in his face. It makes me feel good that he feels good. :) I also say as long as it's safe, then not clipping the wings is a good decision.

Morena

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Kiwi can fly about 20 feet at a time and gains about 5 feet in height. I definitely will not have her clipped again since she will get great exercise with full flight. This is where the forum is invaluable since you can read two different things and then second guess yourself. I had her clipped a month ago for fear that she was gain too much height and hurt herself.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm happy to hear that you've decided to let Kiwi's wing grow out. :) I've never clipped Boji's wings either. At first when I got him, I did think of clipping it since I've read how birds can danger themselves without their wings clipped. However when Boji started flying more and more, I see that he was maneuvering so well around the place, and he seems so happy (always chirping happily while flying). And so I've decided to let him be fully flighted. He loves to flies up and down between the 1st and 2nd floor at my parents place. Sometimes it looks like he's flying vertically upwards. :D And when he flies back down, he does this bomber dive from the railings on the 2nd floor, then spreads his wings and flies back into the 1st floor kitchen. It's such a joy to watch him flying so happily. Like what the others say, just make sure the environment is safe for her to fly, and make sure to turn off the ceiling fans if you have any.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
the vertical flying is what I read about in which they could get hurt by either hitting a ceiling or misjudge going from one room to another. However, I know she can do it and i know she'll be much happier. It goes to show that you have to read up on your specific breed and use caution but also use your best judgment along with hearing from others. I feel much better with my decision.

·
Registered
835 Posts
then it's settled..she will have full flight...thanks!
Wonderful news! When new to parrots I was taught "A parrot in captivity does not know flight like a parrot in the wild, there for you must keep their flight feathers clipped for safety"

this is so NOT true! A parrot needs flight for their mental and physical health. A flighted parrot is more confident, receives adequate exercise and in my opinion is necessary for keeping parrots which in many homes making lots of modifications to ensure safety.

Parrotlets are pros at clicker training and just about all of mine will fly to my hand when I call them - they learned this via clicker training using the methods from Ann Castro's book "The bird school. Clicker training for parrots and other birds"

I could never imagine going back to keeping birds unflighted and the same goes for I could never imagine going back to keeping parrots w/o a same species mate (or flock)

·
Registered
835 Posts
Very good decision. My breeder had Oscar's wings clipped, and to be honest, I did it once, too.

That was when he was two months old. I haven't clipped since. The feathers are still growing. They grow very slow. But, he is making progress, and I am helping him learn to fly. I can tell that he can't wait until the day he can fly. LOL

But my cockatiel's wings grow fast. When I used to clip them, he could fly again within about three weeks.

But now, he is a pro, and follows me everywhere in the house.
That saddens me. This means that Oscar only had the ability to fly for a couple of weeks :( I hate when breeders are so selfish and rip this aspect of life from the parrots they produce. I have seen it so many times "oh, the parrot is so wild and doesn't behave. oh, the parrot is clumsy and can't fly well" Well it is the BREEDER'S RESPONSIBILITY!!! First of all, the babes should be taugth by their parents, but most still hand raise and they MUST assume that responsibility for the well being of the babies!

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
They should be flighted IMO - its up to us owners to ensure a safe as possible flying arena for them to do so -

Birds are animals whose metabolism, respiratory, cardiovascular and muscular structures were engineered to fly, the inability to do so has a devastating effect on their health over the course of their long lives.
Plus they are so much fun to watch while flying :D

·
Registered
794 Posts
Yes Andrea I know this now... Like I said, I am not going to clip them again. Like somebody said...this is what makes a forum invaluable...I have not clipped them except that first time and am not going to because I learned extensively on the subject by researching and discussing on this forum.

I hope you weren't specifically referring to me in your post.

:eek:

That saddens me. This means that Oscar only had the ability to fly for a couple of weeks :( I hate when breeders are so selfish and rip this aspect of life from the parrots they produce. I have seen it so many times "oh, the parrot is so wild and doesn't behave. oh, the parrot is clumsy and can't fly well" Well it is the BREEDER'S RESPONSIBILITY!!! First of all, the babes should be taugth by their parents, but most still hand raise and they MUST assume that responsibility for the well being of the babies!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts