Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
We've never clipped our birds' wings (or nails). I'd rather someone do it with a lot of experience.

Your best bet would probably be to take Kiwi to a bird/pet store and get them to do it. Then, you can watch and see how they do it and maybe next time clip the wings yourself. Or while they're doing it, you can ask them to explain the steps so you'll know exactly how to do it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I dont have the heart to clip Bruce's wings. He just loves flying around the room, or into the kitchen and back a few times.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I dont have the heart to clip Bruce's wings. He just loves flying around the room, or into the kitchen and back a few times.
Be careful you're not cooking in the kitchen when he's flying around! :eek: Also, I've heard that the fumes emitted when you cook on certain types of pans is bad for their health. I forget just what type, but I remember hearing this.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Teflon pans are bad for birds.
Toilets are bad too. They're meant for only one thing.. not birds so lets try and keep it that way! hahaha
Kiwi needs to lose weight. overweight animals is like overweight kids. its unfair and no offense a direct result of poor parenting. give him spinach or carrots. start introducing vegetables (washed very well) to his diet. and try to find a bird store (not pet store) to buy special food that is low fat. the stuff you get in those big petstores are garbage. its pretty much as bad as the plain old $10 bag of kibble is for dogs.

·
Registered
8 Posts
sorry

sorry if you misinterpreted me, I was definitely not calling you a bad mom, I was more trying to make a point and give you an example.
keep up the good work :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey

Hey Kathy,
glad we cleared things up!
yes I agree, I'm also a HUGE animal fanatic and we eat good food so why shouldn't they?
you have a dog too? I do. her name's Stella. she's a standard poodle. I find that innova evo is amazing food for dogs. I've gone through wellness, science diet all that kind of stuff. if you haven't tried innova ask a petstore for a sample its amazing.
Stella is VERY tolerable of Kito (the bird). I'm very surprised cuz she's just a year old and you know how puppies are. Kito is very interested in her, but she doesn't really care about him. hahhaa go figure!
how's vancouver? I could never live there. too busy for me!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Clipping Wings...

We clip our babys' wings. We took them to a local bird store, and I observed them clipping the wings. They said when you see the bird's outermost flight feathers overlapping when closed, it's time to clip them. From the outside, you clip the first 7 primary flight feathers. Holding them in a washcloth is a good way to hold them. I just gently hold them in my hand. Of course, that means lot's of bites, but I'm starting to develop an "immunity" to them.:) I'd still take a bite from a Macaw any day over a parrotlet, though. They're like hyperdermic needles!

I can't stress enough how important it is to clip them, though. When we've neglected to clip ours they have flown into another room, and we've spent up to a half hour looking for them because they're so tiny!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Drs. Foster and Smith

Hi. Just wanted to recommend a brand of really good quality food. You can buy it online at Drs. Foster & Smith. There own brand is pretty good stuff - or at least this is what I've heard.

One Question: When you offer the veggies and fruit, do you try to hand feed or put it in with the seed mix or give it to him outside of the cage?

I'm a little shaky with this because with my work schedule, I only have two chances to get him to try new things in the morning or afternoon. I'm also consumed with working to hand train him during these times and find it difficult to juggle everything he might need.

I liked your idea of clipping the lettuce. I'll try that. He seems to eat lots of things if I hand feed him, but then he makes a mess on his bed (happy hut) and it's grose. I feel like it doesn't really get clean. Will be removing happy hut soon, but that's another issue.

:confused:

·
Registered
794 Posts
Be careful you're not cooking in the kitchen when he's flying around! :eek: Also, I've heard that the fumes emitted when you cook on certain types of pans is bad for their health. I forget just what type, but I remember hearing this.

It's teflon Dave it will also make you sick too if heated to 500 degrees with nothing in the pan. I saw it on 20/20.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I always make sure to put the birdies back in their cages if Im ever cooking. I know that cooking fumes and cleaners are toxic so I make sure to keep them away from any kitchen smells.

·
Registered
70 Posts
One Question: When you offer the veggies and fruit, do you try to hand feed or put it in with the seed mix or give it to him outside of the cage?
I wouldn't add it to a seed mix because fresh food spoils. Try a separate food/treat cup, that way you can fill it before work and dump it after. Mine also like leafy things clipped to the inside of the cage.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Just wanted to put my 2 cents in here too.

I clip our birds wings here. For someone who's not experienced whatsoever with it I recommend going to the vet and getting them to do it, but show you how. They are very good that way about showing you the proper way and which ones to trim, which ones to not trim.

Blood feathers are everywhere on a bird. The first set of feathers on the wings are the flight feathers, these ones you cut, sets above these are NOT EVER cut. If you vet cuts them, they are doing a bad job and you should see someone else. Also, if your bird every breaks a blood feather, you'll know cause it will be bleeding from the broken part of the feather, you NEED to pull it ASAP. Otherwise your bird will bleed to death. You then apply a bit of flour or cornstarch to the bleeding area on the skin to help it clot. Birds blood doesn't clot on it's own. Do not use stiptic powder on any pet. This stuff basically burns the hole shut, and is EXTREMELY painful for your bird, dog, etc. I just use plain old flour or cornstarch. Depending how bad the bleeding is, depends on how much you will need, just be patient and keep applying little dabs of it.

Fresh food ideally should be left for no more than 1 hour before being taken out, definetely DO NOT leave for more than 4 hrs ever ever ever. That is the max. I wouldn't leave fresh food in their cage while I left for work, your gone too long (unless it's a real short shift). They get bacteria on the food and then it multiplies like crazy and goes bad fast.

We always leave the lid down on the toilet. We've never had a problem with it. Always have pets getting into it otherwise, so now it's a no brainer, something we don't even think about. Visitors ALWAYS leave it open tho! LOL But we dont' close any doors.

You should not use Teflon (or ANY non stick product) in your house if you have birds!!! I can't stress this enough. These products emit fumes when they are just heated, they do not have to be over heated. I think it is dupont that is being sued or something because they kept vital info shut up about their non stick products and how bad they are for your health. Their pregnant workers were having babies born with all sorts of defects and crap from their work sites. And it doesn't matter if you close doors and all that. Fumes still travel thru the air and follow air currents, which run thru every room of your house, even tho you don't know it. Your birds more than likely won't die instantly from you using non stick (it's not THAT commen for them to die instantly from it) but over time with exposure, it slowly poisons them and they die. Birds are more suseptable to air pollutants because when they breathe, they expel ALL the air from their lungs and take in all new air. Whereas humans, we still have some left over air in there, we don't renew all the air in our lungs with each breath. So toxins are diminished for us because of that. Birds are getting the full wrath of those toxins.

Here the only cleaning product we use is bleach. I also use vinigar to clean a lot of stuff, it works well. I also use dish soap to clean stuff like the oven and tub. Seriously. A little elbow grease, a green scrubbie and it works great. You can never be 100% sure those fumes are going outside (unless your already outside) so we don't take the chance. We had our green cheek conure die from mold in our one small extention (that we didn't know was there) so we ripped it off. There are so many things that can kill these guys, it's saddening.

I just had to get that out - Phew! I feel better now, off my soapbox!

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
candi33, that's at least 4 cents worth! ;)

kathy,

My vet didn't seem to mind that I let my birds fly (he's an avian vet). It has allowed them to stay fit and healthy (they stayed affectionate too!). In fact my bird's worst injury happened as a result of having clipped wings. Early on, my wife had the bird's wings clipped at a local (non-avian) vet. One day shortly after that, I had my birds with me (on my shoulders if I recall) and something spooked the girl. She took off, fell like a stone and hurt her foot. So, I guess you're damded if you do, damned if you don't.

My vet suggested that I buy a cage big enough to allow my birds to fly inside it. I did and they are noticably happier! They usually will stay in their cage even if it is open (after a couple morning laps around the house that is - they come into our bedroom to say hello each morning!).

Regarding clipping your bird's wings yourself: If you can keep good control of your bird with one hand - including extending a wing - then by all means do it. If it makes you nervous to restrain your bird in that manner, definately have it done. The worst thing would be if the bird is able to squirm while you are cutting.

Regarding going in the toilet: If he's inclined to go there, you should mount a perch over the bowl and potty train him! I understand you can do it with cats, why not a bird?

Regarding food: my wife make fresh sprouts for the birds regularly; they love it! My wife gives them the sprouts first thing in the morning and usually takes it away before going to work. Their staple is Harrison's fine and their favorite treat is millet - they will do anything for millet!

Another good thing to do is to wrap their food in paper so they have to work a little to get it - they seem to enjoy the challange and it is good mental stimilation.

Good Luck!

Regards,

Art S.

PS. for the serious types in the group: the toilet comment was meant as a joke

1 - 16 of 16 Posts