Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have one of those house with soooo many windows but no drapes or blinds. We like the openess of it since we live in a wooded area.
Emmy has on wing clipped but what I've read can still fly but not quite as high. What's your advice on this, except for getting drapes/blinds for all of the windows?

·
Registered
794 Posts
Paula just like with wild birds sometimes they have nosense of the glass in front of them. Maybe you could hand something refelctive on the inside so your baby gets something for depth of field perception. Colorful strips of cloth just till it matures and realizes the boundaries of it's world. Injury is biggest reason for death in these little birds. Maybe others may have better suggestions. Just remember to always plan for the worst case scenario and you will be on the right track.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Not much you can do. It's a risk because if they get scared they may just start darting around and hit a window.

I know some people that get those static plastic stickers that can be attached to windows. They put those up there to try and detour birds from flying into windows.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ooooooh. I didn't evem think of those stickers. Also the hanging stained glass pieces. could just keep her to one room and that wouldn't be as hard to do.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Yes, there are decals you can use. I have some to add to my webshop, we can see them but the birds see them even better.

Also, train your parrotlet for flight recall. THis will help master flying and not bumping into windows.

I have NEVER had problems with parrotlets and windows. The only species I have ever had trouble with when it comes to windows is the grass parakeet family. They fly laps upon laps, where as the parrotlets fly more to do something and to get some place (buzz you, etc *L*)

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Kiwi always use to smack in windows all the time... I am training him like I did Sonnie. He can glide (if I give him a push) across the Living Room to his cage. He is learning.

After he flys to his cage I give him a piece of Walnut. I taught Sonnie the same way. I say, "Fly to your cage." Everytime they do, they get rewarded with a peice of oatmeal or walnut. :D

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
When he is on my finger... I raise him up as high as I can go. So when he glides he can make it to his cage. If I just let him fly at my hieght he would not make it to the cage and just fly on the floor wanting me to pick him up by running over to me and making monkey chirps.

His flight wings are growing though.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
This is something to be careful about for sure. This is what I did and now Chipper is a PRO at flying around the house. Around corners to my bathroom too. She has her old cage in there. The plays there when I bathe.

Make destinations. This is very important. One destination is her cage. That is easy. Another, her playgym on our coffee table. Another, that bathroom cage. You can make your own destinations and introduce them to her. That way, she knows where to land. Chipper flies into a silk ficus tree also once in a while.

No matter where Chipper is with me in the house, she can fly home etc, when she wants. You can show her the windows, put your hand on them or something. Just do all you can so she doesn't fly full speed into them. Maybe she can memorize them and know she needs to fly to her destinations.

Our windows have bamboo shades, blinds that are open, curtains etc, so that really helps her. I love window treatments, but I know you want to see your trees easily. I can still see my oak trees and flowers through my blinds.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Also with these little ones - watch out for doors. A friend's parrotlet almost got crushed in a closing door when he flew after them in the house :( Now they make sure they always know where they are !!
Ouch! :eek: That would hurt....

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Andrea, please pm me when you add the decals to your site. I want to be your first decal customer. LOL

1 - 16 of 16 Posts