Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was misleading that the parakeets would get along with parrolet.....However, my new baby parrotlet oftern get bullied when he asked love from my two almost 1 year old parakeets... I can't give none of them away. They are my forever babies and I am their forvever home.... What options do I have? To get another parrolet or just give my two parakeets time to get used to my parrolet? Do anyone have exprience to have a new parrolet and two old lady parakeets? Please share.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Hi there,

You may want to consider posting this under the 'parrotlet talk' section of the website so more people see it.

You can definitely keep the situation as-is, without giving birds away or getting more, with some adjustments. How were you mislead into thinking they would all get along? I know on YouTube you'll see videos of budgies and parrotlets as buddies, but there is no guarantee of that happening and it should not be forced. They are two completely different species of birds who just happen to be close in size. A lot of damage can be done from birds biting one another, so you want to avoid putting the birds in a situation where that can happen.

Do you have the parrotlet housed separately from the budgies? He absolutely needs to have his own cage, and when he's out of it, be kept separate from the budgies. He's a baby and naturally wants to bond with other birds. It's quite normal. And it's also normal that your budgies want nothing to do with him. Right now you should focus on bonding with your parrotlet. The best way to do that would be keeping him in a separate room from the budgies so that he can focus on you as his companion. If that's not possible, then make sure to have him out of the cage while the budgies are kept inside their's as you work on your bond with him. There's lots of great posts on this site about the best ways to bond.

The reality is your birds may never get along, but that's ok. In my experience, budgies are more social with their flock mates than parrotlets, who often do fine as only birds. The best you can hope for is that your parrotlet will grow indifferent towards the budgies and not bother with them. As long as you can spend a couple of hours a day independently with your parrotlet he should be fine and will grow to look to you as his flock mate and companion in time. Just be patient.

Best of luck with your birdies!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi there,

You may want to consider posting this under the 'parrotlet talk' section of the website so more people see it.

You can definitely keep the situation as-is, without giving birds away or getting more, with some adjustments. How were you mislead into thinking they would all get along? I know on YouTube you'll see videos of budgies and parrotlets as buddies, but there is no guarantee of that happening and it should not be forced. They are two completely different species of birds who just happen to be close in size. A lot of damage can be done from birds biting one another, so you want to avoid putting the birds in a situation where that can happen.

Do you have the parrotlet housed separately from the budgies? He absolutely needs to have his own cage, and when he's out of it, be kept separate from the budgies. He's a baby and naturally wants to bond with other birds. It's quite normal. And it's also normal that your budgies want nothing to do with him. Right now you should focus on bonding with your parrotlet. The best way to do that would be keeping him in a separate room from the budgies so that he can focus on you as his companion. If that's not possible, then make sure to have him out of the cage while the budgies are kept inside their's as you work on your bond with him. There's lots of great posts on this site about the best ways to bond.

The reality is your birds may never get along, but that's ok. In my experience, budgies are more social with their flock mates than parrotlets, who often do fine as only birds. The best you can hope for is that your parrotlet will grow indifferent towards the budgies and not bother with them. As long as you can spend a couple of hours a day independently with your parrotlet he should be fine and will grow to look to you as his flock mate and companion in time. Just be patient.

Best of luck with your birdies!
Thank you so much for the replay. It is very useful. I am going to spend more time with him. Thanks again.

·
Super Moderator
6,627 Posts
Hello! Welcome to the forum. I also am curious to be sure that you have them caged separately, parrotlets can become very aggressive especially if felt threatened and your budgies are bothering him. With these two species it's best to keep them separated completely. The good news is your parrotlet will be more than happy with you as it's companion. You can let them out at the same time if you make sure they are completely supervised, however I will caution you that I have parrotlet and parakeets and both of my parakeets have suffered some toe bites despite us having a good routine of supervision with them. It would be highly unusual if they actually wanted to be friends with each other, the next best scenario would be if they are just able to coexist without really bothering each other.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello! Welcome to the forum. I also am curious to be sure that you have them caged separately, parrotlets can become very aggressive especially if felt threatened and your budgies are bothering him. With these two species it's best to keep them separated completely. The good news is your parrotlet will be more than happy with you as it's companion. You can let them out at the same time if you make sure they are completely supervised, however I will caution you that I have parrotlet and parakeets and both of my parakeets have suffered some toe bites despite us having a good routine of supervision with them. It would be highly unusual if they actually wanted to be friends with each other, the next best scenario would be if they are just able to coexist without really bothering each other.
Thanks for the reply and sharing of your experince which were very useful. All my birds are cage free, therefore, my parrotlet keeps borthing the parakeets.... I haven't noticed any aggressiveness from my parrotlet but the threat from my parakeets....However, I will definitely keep my eyes on them while they are together. And I still have a little hope that one day they can get along and grooming each other......

·
Registered
5,086 Posts
Welcome to this forum! I raised budgies for over 55 years and parrotlets for almost 13 years. If you are having problems with your birds getting along, then most likely they will always have problems getting along. But! The advice you have been given is wonderful ! Even though there will be tension among the ' flock ', they will eventually learn to tolerate each other a little bit. The p'lett can and is very capable of removing toes, feathers and put eyes out. His beak is powerful!

I suggest that you must make the effort to get a close bond with your p'lett. It will take time, but keep hand feeding treats to your p'lett and talking to him. Try getting some hemp seeds and feeding the seeds to your p'lett, one at a time. This will help with your bonding. Your fingers will act like the mother hen feeding the chick. When my p'letts got upset, I fed them hemp seeds ( or any other good seed) and they would calm down because I was paying attention to them.

Keep writing!

David

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Welcome to this forum! I raised budgies for over 55 years and parrotlets for almost 13 years. If you are having problems with your birds getting along, then most likely they will always have problems getting along. But! The advice you have been given is wonderful ! Even though there will be tension among the ' flock ', they will eventually learn to tolerate each other a little bit. The p'lett can and is very capable of removing toes, feathers and put eyes out. His beak is powerful!

I suggest that you must make the effort to get a close bond with your p'lett. It will take time, but keep hand feeding treats to your p'lett and talking to him. Try getting some hemp seeds and feeding the seeds to your p'lett, one at a time. This will help with your bonding. Your fingers will act like the mother hen feeding the chick. When my p'letts got upset, I fed them hemp seeds ( or any other good seed) and they would calm down because I was paying attention to them.

Keep writing!

David
Thank you for the advices, they are very helpful. I would love to spend time to bond with him.

·
Super Moderator
6,627 Posts
I see, my bird's all spend a lot of time out of the cage as well. I do think you might benefit from having some cages for yours, it is good for them to have their own little space to retreat too. Think of it like their private room. Just a suggestion, if they have a place to get away from each other that they can consider their own territory it could be helpful

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have an English budgie and a parrotlet. I got my parrotlet a year ago today and the budgie about 5 - 6 months. My two do get along and they even share a sleeping cage. It wasn't like that at first though. I got the budgie so that my boy wouldn't be completely alone in the house when I went back to work. So at least he could hear and see another bird even if it was in another cage. I do know that is problematic to house parrotlets with other birds and that parrotlets can even attack mates on occasion. I took it slow with and let them get used to each other out of the cage supervised. Kai (budgie) was all up for being friends and it was Mochi (parrotlet) who was the problem. Eventually they got along well enough outside that I left them out of their cages together in their room they sleep in. I came back from doing chores one day and they were cuddling and preening each other. Mochi loves me best but when I am not around he and Kai keep each other company and it is so sweet to see. I know it is unusual but it does work out sometimes and the fact I had single birds and not a pair of the same kind was a benefit. In my opinion, the issue is that your birds have bonded with each other so that makes the new parrotlet the odd one out. Maybe you feed them special treats when they are all out and they might associate treats with being together? Eating together is flock bonding? Hope some of this helps.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I have an English budgie and a parrotlet. I got my parrotlet a year ago today and the budgie about 5 - 6 months. My two do get along and they even share a sleeping cage. It wasn't like that at first though. I got the budgie so that my boy wouldn't be completely alone in the house when I went back to work. So at least he could hear and see another bird even if it was in another cage. I do know that is problematic to house parrotlets with other birds and that parrotlets can even attack mates on occasion. I took it slow with and let them get used to each other out of the cage supervised. Kai (budgie) was all up for being friends and it was Mochi (parrotlet) who was the problem. Eventually they got along well enough outside that I left them out of their cages together in their room they sleep in. I came back from doing chores one day and they were cuddling and preening each other. Mochi loves me best but when I am not around he and Kai keep each other company and it is so sweet to see. I know it is unusual but it does work out sometimes and the fact I had single birds and not a pair of the same kind was a benefit. In my opinion, the issue is that your birds have bonded with each other so that makes the new parrotlet the odd one out. Maybe you feed them special treats when they are all out and they might associate treats with being together? Eating together is flock bonding? Hope some of this helps.
Just reply to say your profile picture is ADORABLE. OMG.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts