Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So birdie is just over 3 months and this morning has started doing the wiggle head dance too me.. Alot.. Now is there anything I should be looking out for when she does this that wouldn't be good too encourage?? She also was very nippy this morning even with me.. Are the two things linked?? Normally she just bites my partner hard and only ever me if I'm stopping her from doing something, so her being very aggy this morning was weird. Any advice is appreciated..

·
Registered
813 Posts
Wiggle necking is just a mating dance that they do. The best thing is to ignore it and always be sure not to touch your bird below the neck. Remove any cuddly toys, tents or happy huts. These just encourage nesting behavior. Single females can lay eggs without a male present, so if you have not read the two stickies on egg-laying, I suggest you do. Those of us who have females, especially need to know what hormonal behavior looks like and how to handle it when it happens.

How to Discourage Egg Laying by Minimizing Hormonal Behavior

How to Discourage Egg Laying by Minimizing Hormonal...

·
Super Moderator
4,505 Posts
Just ignore and distract. Which is hard since it is cute as heck when they do it and it is a complement of sort. I have about a 6 month parrotlet. He did a lot of wiggle neck around the 3 month mark also. Seemed to slowed down so it might just be a phase.

·
Registered
314 Posts
It's quite common for birds under 1 to do the wiggle neck dance and it won't harm your bird to do it every once in a while, but it shouldn't be directly encouraged. I know it's all over instagram as a "trick" and the owners say it's fine because they aren't actually regurgitating food, but it's still a hormonal behaviour and if encouraged can lead to hormonal problems. My go to during hormonal season when my bird starts wiggling or dancing on my fingers (the mating dance) is that he gets thrown up to his window perch and away from me. If he flies back and continues, I do it again and again until he stops. There's no positive reinforcement and I don't say anything to him (not even a "no!" as that's a noise from me). Just the silent treatment and removal from my hands or from sitting on me. If he continues, he goes back in the cage until he is calm again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts