Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just got him Thursday, he's 6-9 months old. But is it normal for a new bird, even though he's gotten very accquainted with us, to shiver and tremble and shake so often?

·
Registered
691 Posts
Was he hand raised? My Luigi who I have had for 5 months still trembles when I hold him. Malibu may just be a little scared

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We got Boo from a pet store, although the way he's been interacting with us and the quickness he got situated made it seem like he was. The people at the pet store said that they weren't sure. The thing that scares me is Malibu was doing so well and so boldly and feistily interacting with us, but now since this morning he's been extremely shivery, breathing heavily, and does NOT want to come out of his cage, as opposed to his normal just plain not wanting to, but still doing so, and enjoying himslef (it seemed) when he was out.

Is there something wrong with him?
Is it possible this could be a result of him not getting enough sleep? We need to move his cage or get another cage for when he sleeps from now on; the tv was accidentally on in his room until midnight, and people were moving around, and probably woke him. When I came to check on him this morning (tiptoeing into his room) I saw his eyes were open but he was sitting still. I don't know how much he slept or if he even slept at all (YIKES).
Anyone else experienced something like this? What were the end results?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
By the way- he's shivering and breathing heavily even when he's just sitting on his perch or moving around the cage.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Yes, he could be sick and should be seen by an avian vet.
Reta

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Yes. i would definitely take him to a vet

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update- well, we decided to try to give him a few hours of completely alone time, and see how he was afterwards. After a couple of hours we heard chirping and walked into the room to see him jumping around, getting food, not breathing heavily at all. We decided to still give him his space, and sit near him and in the room but now try to take him out. After a while I reached in to see how shakey he was and he wasn't. At all. I could feel his little heart beat and his breathing but it wasn't rushed or heavy. Pretty sure Malibu just had a busy day and was a little over-excited/maybe a little stressed out.

:). I'll keep you all updated. Thank you so much for the advice. If he reverts back to any shaking at all we'll be sure to take him to our local avian vet.

:-D

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
If he isn't ill, it is because he is brand new to you and your home. That is very scary. I would be very patient and let him get used to the new surroundings, noises, etc.

It is a very big deal for them to go to a new home. Just observe, talk, sing etc for a few days.

Of course, if he is acting ill, he does need to see the vet.

Best of luck! I hope all will be just fine.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Glad to hear you think he's okay. The trembling and shaking must mean then that he is scared. Are you grabbing him out of the cage? If so, that can scare a bird quite a bit. If you are, I suggest you take it more slowly with this little guy, and let him come to you, bribed by some little pieces of millet spray.
Reta

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Millet spray tempting works really well for my Jack. IF I sense he might be grumpy and not want to be taken out of his cage, I often open the door to his cage and set a piece of millet spray out on the door. Within a few seconds he typically crawls out and usually steps up without any issues. lol.
Good luck with your little guy!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts