Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going insane.

Every single morning, for up to FOUR HOURS on end, my parrotlet makes this horrible, loud sound. No matter what I do he doesn't stop. I'll take him out of his cage, talk to him, sing to him, give him millet, give him fresh food, play with toys, try to scratch him (which he usually loves, but hates in these circumstances), let him explore the floor...nothing helps. Nothing.

This is a video of the sound/motion he makes. This is quite subdued; it's generally much louder and incessant than this.

http://qik.com/video/38806608

The weird thing is that this isn't an all-the-time thing. When I get back from class early afternoon he's a dream. He'll just sit with me watching television, cuddling, sleeping, preening both of us, asking for scratches. This behaviour only surfaces early morning, from 7 until I leave, as late as 11.30. And please believe me when I say it never stops. There is truly constant noise for hours on end.

Why is he doing this? What does he want? My roommates aren't going to suffer this much longer and I can't imagine giving up my baby, but if that's what it comes to then I'm going to have to do it.

Please help!

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Sounds like a normal parrotlet in the Spring time mode to me. I myself love to hear it. When Bodie is silent I worry somethings wrong.

I know this does not help, but you are sharing your life with a parrot, even small parrots can make lots of noise.:)

·
Banned
146 Posts
I have a male and a female and the male is VERY noisy especially in the morning like yours! My female is pretty quiet except when she wants attention. There is really nothing you can do to quiet him down. I do not mind the noise myself.
I had a green rump for 8 years and he was much quieter then my male pacific. I am going back to a green rump, they are so sweet and much quieter.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I can't view the link also because it says it's private.. Maybe you could put the clip on YouTube or something.. I really want to hear it. I have a female and male and like others said the male is SO much louder than the female. He is constantly chattering while Olive barely chirps.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oops, sorry about that. Video is public now.

The only reason it confused me is because he's never done it before, not this sound. It used to be only the cute little murmuring and the occasional louder chirp when he wanted out of his cage. Now there is NO murmuring or chirping, only this sound. It's almost like a dolphin...now that the video is public you can see for yourself.

·
Banned
146 Posts
My males does not make that noise! Wow he is really into it, it almost looks like the baby noise they make when they want to be feed, but I think he is too old for that. His mouth is even wide open. I feel for you that is not nice to put up with. I see what you mean about non stop!

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
I don't know, but to me, that sounds like he's unhappy, don't know why it strikes me that way! I used to have a male and they are more loud than the females, with lots more different tones, warbles, chirps, etc., plus talking. But it isn't constant like that. My female just makes little peep sounds.

He just looks like he's chirping for something, not just because he's happy. Is he eating properly?

I can see where this is driving you crazy, but I have no idea how to help! He wants something!

·
Banned
146 Posts
It sounds like a waterfall in the background? Could that noise be bothering him? I know when I shake a plastic bag my female goes nuts but not the male. Does he hear birds outside? I agree with Jodeg he is not happy about something.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I've never heard the noise either from either of my p'lets... Very strange... It reminded me of "baby" behavior also... How old is he? When he started doing it was anything in his environment changed? How much time does he get out of his cage? You could always make an appt with the vet and see what he thinks or if he's ever seen anything like that.

·
Registered
264 Posts
That sucks. Babies do tend to go through odd stages and it is spring, so maybe he'll grow out of it?

As far as your roommates go, tell them to deal. I have roommates and my bird starts screaming at 6:30 in the morning in the spring and summer. She does not stop until someone gets up to uncover her. This does not please my roommates, to say the least. I just tell them to deal. They agreed to live with the parrot too. Doing a few extra dishes on your roommate's behalf never hurt. Another tip, buy house ear plugs for your roommates. My roommates stopped complaining as much once they had the ear plugs and could sleep in on Saturdays.

Also suggest you get another parrotlet, or better yet, a macaw. They will instantly see the beauty in having only one bird. :) My roommates stopped complaining when I started talking about getting a second parrotlet. As my roommate curtly stated, "one is enough."

·
Registered
38 Posts
From your previous posts, I have gathered that you brought your parrotlet home when he was about 6 weeks old. For some parrotlets, that can be a bit too young. Are you sure he was weaned long enough before bringing him home from the breeders house? Maybe HE wasn't ready to wean yet. He sounds as if he's doing a baby's hungry call. I wonder if he would eat formula.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
My little Healey can get quiet a chirpfest going but he never sounds like that either. He has more of a little song chatter thing going on. Your little guy seems distressed about something for sure. I too wonder if it might have something to do with being weaned too young. If he hatched January 14, he is only 10 weeks old and still a baby. It would not hurt to at least phone the vet and see if he thinks he should be looked at. Has he had his first wellness visit with the vet yet? Now might be a good time to schedule one.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I would agree with everyone else that it definitely sounds like a baby begging to be fed - watch this video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzaVHkr7-Dw

It even seems as if he is doing a little bit of head bobbing like these babies with his mouth open.

Taz makes a sound kind of similar to this. His is more like an angry trill/chirp though. He only makes this sound in the mornings when I'm taking too long getting his birdie bread or if he is really mad that I'm not taking him out.

Even though he is eating, maybe he isn't eating enough food and he is using the only thing he knows to do when he is hungry? Because he is doing it a LOT I tend to think it is an unhappy sound and something is wrong. Taz goes on happy babbling sprees, but they only last for an hour maximum and are usually only about 15-20 min a few times a day.

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
I just finished raising a clutch of baby budgies... that sound is VERY much like their hungry call and actions when they were weaning and Mom had stopped feeding them. I had to step in and feed them for a week or two till they were ready to ween... and that is a hungry baby bird FEED ME cry... I also would try feeding him .

1 - 20 of 23 Posts