Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi y’all!
I enjoy all of your posts, but just really haven’t had a push to post until now. I have a question and I hope someone’s Parrotlet does the same. My Phineas loves to bow to me, as well as inate objects. I have had birds all different breeds off and on all my life, but never had one bow to me…..I feel like a queen. Lol. Please do not suggest head bobbing, I know the difference and I firmly believe he is not asking for scratches. I have added a picture of him doing this. It is rather cute, as he bows his head, his wings go up some.
If anyone else has one that does this, please enlighten me. I feel he is not wanting scratches, because he doesn’t do fingers and I am only allowed to do that with my nose.
Thanks, Barb
Working animal Dog breed Toy Snout Art

·
Administrator
5,316 Posts
Not seen the bow before. The wing thing looks like some call wing flicks or heart wings. Does he do this when he is excited? My guys tend to do this when they are excited and engaging with me.
Glad you decided to post.

·
Administrator
5,316 Posts
Thanks Ozzie for your reply. Yes, usually he is running his beak when he does this and most the time excited. However, if he is in his cage, he’ll sometimes come up to the corner and “bow” to me. We even have a bowing contest lol
Bowing contest. That is funny. I wonder how many get into contest with thier little ones. For a while with Jules we had a yawning thing going. She would land on my monitor and after a while do a yawn. I would yawn back at her. She would yawn back at me and we would go back and forth like that for about 5 minutes or so.

·
Super Moderator
3,706 Posts
Hi there. I have never seen this before and Kiwi has certainly never bowed to me lol! It’s so cute! I love that you bow back sometimes - that made me smile. I feel like I would do the same if Kiwi had ever bowed to me.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bowing contest. That is funny. I wonder how many get into contest with thier little ones. For a while with Jules we had a yawning thing going. She would land on my monitor and after a while do a yawn. I would yawn back at her. She would yawn back at me and we would go back and forth like that for about 5 minutes or so.
Ozzie, I looked up wing flicks and it described it as fluttering the wings in that position. Phineas just holds that position as if he is doing it as respect. I guess he just realizes who the queen of the house is LOL

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi there. I have never seen this before and Kiwi has certainly never bowed to me lol! It’s so cute! I love that you bow back sometimes - that made me smile. I feel like I would do the same if Kiwi had ever bowed to me.
Yes, every time he does it, I smile too. I guess I have an unusual bird 😉

·
Super Moderator
5,184 Posts
Tumi does something that looks a bit similar, but it is him rubbing his beak on the ground. I have noticed for Tumi that whenever his wings go up like that he is mimicking. Tumi normally mimicks words/sounds, but always with his wing flip up. Perhaps it is a mimic of some sort? I don't know where he would have learned that, though. They are weirdos.

·
Administrator
5,316 Posts
Yes, every time he does it, I smile too. I guess I have an unusual bird 😉
That is the wonder of parrotlets. They are all unique in different ways and even those unique ways change in time.

Reactions: ginziputzi

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Tumi does something that looks a bit similar, but it is him rubbing his beak on the ground. I have noticed for Tumi that whenever his wings go up like that he is mimicking. Tumi normally mimicks words/sounds, but always with his wing flip up. Perhaps it is a mimic of some sort? I don't know where he would have learned that, though. They are weirdos.
Thought about what you said regarding rubbing his beak or mimicking. I really don’t think he is doing either. He has quite a vocabulary and has his head held high to make sure I hear him. I have come to the conclusion he is a nutty bird and we will continue our bowing for whatever reason 😂
Thanks for your ideas!
Barb and nutty Phinny

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Hi Barb! Welcome to the forum. When I first glanced at your picture, I didn't know what it was! :LOL: Oh, my gosh, you have a bowing bird. That is so stinkn' cute. These birds never fail to amaze me. Birds will open their wings when they are overheated, but that does not seem to be the reason. It may be a form of communication. I have been told that I gesture with my hands when I talk, so maybe that's Phinny's way of gesturing? Who knows! It sure makes him unique. I never heard of a bird being gallant before! lol Maybe you should start calling him Sir Phinny! :) He definitely has his own personality! I love it! 💙

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi Barb! Welcome to the forum. When I first glanced at your picture, I didn't know what it was! :LOL: Oh, my gosh, you have a bowing bird. That is so stinkn' cute. These birds never fail to amaze me. Birds will open their wings when they are overheated, but that does not seem to be the reason. It may be a form of communication. I have been told that I gesture with my hands when I talk, so maybe that's Phinny's way of gesturing? Who knows! It sure makes him unique. I never heard of a bird being gallant before! lol Maybe you should start calling him Sir Phinny! :) He definitely has his own personality! I love it! 💙
I really didn’t mention that he has this unbelievable “love” for bottles. When we take the gallon milk carton out of the fridge, he goes a little love crazy and will bow to it😂. I am beginning to think this is some way he shows affection. Who knows?!🤷🏼‍♀️, but he does keep us entertained with his antics. We call the milk carton his big girlfriend, but I think his favorite bottle is the Green Leaf tea bottles, more his size. Of course, if the lids are different colors we tease him about the blond, black and brunette hair and which he prefers this week.
Thanks for your comments.
Barb and “Sir” Phineas of Texas

·
Administrator
5,316 Posts
I really didn’t mention that he has this unbelievable “love” for bottles. When we take the gallon milk carton out of the fridge, he goes a little love crazy and will bow to it😂. I am beginning to think this is some way he shows affection. Who knows?!🤷🏼‍♀️, but he does keep us entertained with his antics. We call the milk carton his big girlfriend, but I think his favorite bottle is the Green Leaf tea bottles, more his size. Of course, if the lids are different colors we tease him about the blond, black and brunette hair and which he prefers this week.
Thanks for your comments.
Barb and “Sir” Phineas of Texas
you know that wing spread you show in the bow pic similar to what I see in Rio at the beginning of his mating dance. There might be a wiggle neck but there is the heart wings and then he puffs up his bottom and does a crazy figure 8 dance.

Reactions: ginziputzi

·
Super Moderator
3,706 Posts
I have heard of our parrotlet friends taking a shine to pill bottles but I haven’t heard of a giant milk carton yet. There’s a first! Sir Phineas certainly lives up to the Parrotlet reputation of thinking they’re as big as African Greys!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts