TalkParrotlets.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I have been thinking about purchasing Pet insurance for my next parrotlet. I want to get this insurance because if something was to happen to me, I want to have this insurance to help her take care of our bird, when needed.

I just want to know if anybody in this forum has insurance or knows of a good company who can be recommended. I can research this, but any advanced help would be nice. I want a good company and premiums are not an extreme issue with me.

I haven't started to look around, yet, but I will be doing so, shortly.
Any help would be appreciated. You can send me a Private Conversation ( personal message) if you want.

David and Vicki 馃 馃

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
There is only one choice in the US for pet bird pet insurance, which is Nationwide. You likely would be better off putting the money that you would pay monthly into an account dedicated to vet expenses. More information and a contact number is at Pet Insurance for Birds & Exotics | Ferrets, Reptiles, Rabbits & More
Guess what? I have Nationwide insurance on some of my properties! I didn't know they carried pet insurance! Thanks for telling me this. I will contact my agent and make him earn his wages by looking into a quote for me. I know it is expensive, even if I get a discount because I have other business with Nationwide. Bogie's vet bills the last 6 months of his life were expensive and it would have been nice to have had insurance.

I'll bet the premiums will scare me away!
Thanks, Jackie

David 馃

Super Moderator
I called and talked to the pet insurance company when I got Tumi and asked them what they would cover for birds. They didn't even cover blood or fecal tests, which meant to me that it was completely worthless, since those are the first things that my vet would do that would cause the bill to skyrocket. Ask them specific questions of coverage, but also get it in writing if they say that something would be covered.

Unfortunately, pet insurance really only exists for dogs and cats right now. I would ask them everything that they would cover, but it is VERY likely that you would be better off taking the money you would have given them and setting it aside as your own pet insurance. It also would be much easier to access and use if you ever do need it.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
I called and talked to the pet insurance company when I got Tumi and asked them what they would cover for birds. They didn't even cover blood or fecal tests, which meant to me that it was completely worthless, since those are the first things that my vet would do that would cause the bill to skyrocket. Ask them specific questions of coverage, but also get it in writing if they say that something would be covered.

Unfortunately, pet insurance really only exists for dogs and cats right now. I would ask them everything that they would cover, but it is VERY likely that you would be better off taking the money you would have given them and setting it aside as your own pet insurance. It also would be much easier to access and use if you ever do need it.
I am glad you did that. Birds seem to be put to the side when it comes to pet care policies! Also, I received some terrible news today:(. I can't bear any more of all this bad stuff going around. I am sick of it....I will post later....I am too upset right now.....
Dave

1 - 5 of 5 Posts