Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so now I've decided to get Gelato a female by the end of the year. I've got to talk to the breeder and see if he has any hens available in green, can't afford a blue one there is just NO way. Plus green is my favorite color and I like natural colors the best.

So I have a 18in high X 18in wide X 30in long cage. I know that another member said this would be minimum for 2 p'lets, and even that could be cramp.

I know for sure that I am getting a cage here as soon as I get back from my trip and finish that paying off that credit card, so by september/november it would be paid off. Then I would get the cage which depending on the sales would range from $120 - $200 which would take me another 2 months to pay off, so it would be like January/February before I would buy the female....

I do have a spare cage that was Gelato's home, it's a little smaller than the aviary but it worked well. DO you think I should get the female first? Pay her off and then get the cage? Or do you think I should get the cage first and then the bird?

I'm thinking of getting the cage first. I don't like my birds to cramp, but I know that means that Gelato will be alone for part of the day 4-5 days a week and he could get a little lonely. . . so, there is the dilemma.

If you haven't figured it out, I have trouble making decisions when they involve buying something out of being selfish. If this were a rescue, no big deal; however, this is not, Gelato was a selfish buy as will this female.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Your female won't be a selfish buy - you are buying her out of love and compassion to add a life mate for your male - no selfishness in that !! ;)

I would first look for what's available in regards to females. If there is one that is a match in your eyes or if Gelato will be doing the picking and picks one then I would get the female first - if one is not available or the right match is not available then no harm done and just wait on the female and do the cage first. But it would be awful if the right female was available first and you passed her up in order to get the cage first.

I say this because I wouldn't put them together right away anyway. I kept mine separated in cages next to each other for the first 3 or 4 months. I did this in the beginning mainly until my female grew in her flight feathers and would be able to get around in the larger cage and move from the male should she need to - (she was pretty clumsy as a youngster :p ). But it ended up working out perfectly for them to get to know each other and solidify their bond.
They are together now even though her flight feathers aren't fully grown in but she is much more confident now and can get around the larger cage perfectly (with the help of a lot of rope perches) but they became completely bonded while living in separate cages and having daily out of cage time on their play gym together.

So if need be you can keep Gelato and the new female in separate cages next to each other until you get your larger cage. It will give them time to bond first before being forced to live with each other full time.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
That 18 inch cage is not big enough even for one. I would get a VERY large and don't forget... WIDE cage first. You will see a big diff. in the bird you have. Only baby birds need a small cage. They need good, big and small toys and lots of great perches and they need to be able to fly and jump in a wide cage. I would fix up the bird I have first.

Parrotlets need very large cages. I have no idea why the 18 inch cage is always said to be minumum. Then most people get that one.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Pado,

Good advice.

Sally,

18 by 18 by 30 is not huge but it is not small. Also, Catfish will probobly use two cages initially while the birds get to know each other, and he knows what he is doing. I think the situation will be just fine. I'm sure if there is an emergency, he will take care of it.

catfish,

All of the above being said, I found my birds to be much calmer once i got the BIG cage (which, by the way, is in your pricerange if purchased on the net ;) :D ).

My advice is: if you find the right bird, buy her. If not keep on saving with the purchase of the bird and the cage in mind until you find the right bird.

Good luck!

Art S.

Regards,

Art S.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Just to clarify - I think Gelato's current cage is 18" deep by 30" wide which is not much different from the 21" x 32" that we like Sally. This particular cage he has just isn't as high, it is only 18" high.

But yes, if the right hen is available go ahead and get her. If not, go ahead and get the cage and wait for the right hen.

Is it possible to adopt a parrotlet needing a home as opposed to purchasing from a breeder?

How old is Gelato?

You can often find a parrot with a low adoption fee, due to someone's life changes or something like that. You would possibly save $$, due a little hen a life favor and please Gelato :) A win, win, win situation!

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Gelato is about 6 months old, so he's still very much a baby. He's my little ball of feathers that I adore. I syringe fed him for about 2-3 weeks and have trained the little monster to play dead. i just want him to be a happy bird.

Is there a site that I could try and adopt a little hen? If I can adopt a hen I would love to try that route, so many birds do need homes. :D

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I did a google search but I didn't find any parrotlets as well. I got some craiglists from various states that contained an add for a little parrotlet... but nothing in this state.

If I could find one close in age i think it would be best. thank you so much for your help~

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
That would be cool -

I looked into the adoption route at first - there are a few adoption facilities within driving distance to me - Mickaboo is one that comes to mind as I'm typing - unfortunately no P'lets were available as I was online searching - then I heard back from a breeder that had a female available.

I went with the female from the breeder - well, one because she was available and I was antsy :p but also I was weighing at the time what the chances were of getting a young female in rescue - I know it happens (I got my male at 4 months) but those are generally by chance and never seem to be when you are looking :mad: - I didn't want to wait as I wanted to introduce the female while my male was still under a year - I thought the chances of a successful outcome would be better if both birds were young.

Although a rescue would have been nice :(

Good luck catfish - I'll keep my fingers crossed one comes your way :)

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Memmey,

I think I was invited to join that but I don't play well with others ;) .

By the way, what do they actually do in MENSA? I just can't picture the activities and never bothered googling it.

catfish,

While a very nobile think to do, my concern about adopting a rescue bird is that the bird will have an extra set of issues on top of getting to know you and bonding with Gelato. This may produce a very different result than the partner you are seeking for your little guy. just take that into account if you come across a rescue candidate.

Regards,

Art S.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts