TalkParrotlets.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, to put it simply, Tofu is starting to get bored. Were still doing our training everyday and Ive been rotating the toys she has but its time for a revamp.

Tofu has been anti-toy ever since Ive gotten her, no matter how many times Ive tried to entice and show her how to do it she's just not going to be a toy playing bird right now. There are a couple of things she loves- swing, climb, and chewing perches.

I've already ordered some see grass climbing mats and swing as well as a kabob just to see if one different than the one she has would be more exciting. The last thing I want for her is some chew able perches but I'm running into trouble- they're all much to big for her. I have been spiraling some vet wrap over some of her larger perches in little rolls so its not flat and the natural wood is still there. If I can avoid that I'd like to, as shes starting to try to bite and chew it. She has some java ones now and its much too hard for her to chew and shes getting frustrated and throwing tantrums. The vet said I could take sticks from outside but it's winter here in Michigan and I have no confidence that I can pick a safe wood without the leaves on the trees.

I dont mind doing a little DIY if I must but does anyone have some sources for some softer wood perches safe for parrotlets??

·
Super Moderator
4,869 Posts
Etsy is a good place to look. Many nurseries sell perches on Etsy, and they are confident in the type of wood.

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
I get mahogany seed pods, which cut up on ebay. Etsy also have them, I see - whole by the look of it. Casuarina pods are also good .... and gumnuts. Pine cones are excellent too - they love chewing all of these. My bird Squirtle loves the mahogany pods the best tho. I put them on a kebab stick for him to chew up. They are easy to push a screwdriver through the centre to make a hole.

I also keep popsicle sticks (but you can also buy them cheap enough) and thread them onto things for my bird to chew. I don't like plastic toys, and don't buy them. He seems to get heaps of value time out of what I make.

https://www.etsy.com/au/listing/151547715/dried-pods-mahogany-pods-natural-16?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=mahogany+seed+pods&ref=sr_gallery-1-1&sca=1

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I get mahogany seed pods, which cut up on ebay. Etsy also have them, I see - whole by the look of it. Casuarina pods are also good .... and gumnuts. Pine cones are excellent too - they love chewing all of these. My bird Squirtle loves the mahogany pods the best tho. I put them on a kebab stick for him to chew up. They are easy to push a screwdriver through the centre to make a hole.

I also keep popsicle sticks (but you can also buy them cheap enough) and thread them onto things for my bird to chew. I don't like plastic toys, and don't buy them. He seems to get heaps of value time out of what I make.

https://www.etsy.com/au/listing/151...y=mahogany+seed+pods&ref=sr_gallery-1-1&sca=1

I'm also not a fan of plastic toys and any draw Tofu has to toys mostly comes from the ability to hide behind it and play peekaboo and to pull it around and make it swing so I think the seed pods and etsy sounds like a fantastic route for us thank you!

·
Registered
94 Posts
seed pods

I need to check out these seed pods. I think Percy will enjoy them. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts