Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I'm getting conflicting information, but USPS has directed me to this on their website.
526.4 Adult Birds

526.41 General

Disease-free adult birds may be mailed domestically when shipped under all applicable governmental laws and regulations, including the Lacey Act, the Endangered Species Act (ESA), and regulations of the U.S. Department of Agriculture, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, and any state, municipal, or local ordinances. Mailers must comply with all applicable governmental laws and regulations, including the Lacey Act, the Endangered Species Act (ESA), and regulations of the U.S. Department of Agriculture, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, and any state, municipal, or local ordinances. Mailings must also be compliant with the requirements provided in USPS Publication 14, Prohibitions and Restrictions on Mailing Animals, Plants, and Related Matter, Chapter 5. In addition, each container or package must be marked as required by U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service under 50 CFR 14. Adult birds must be properly packaged and able to sustain shipment without food or water because liquids, moisture, and loose foodstuffs can cause damage to the shipping container, other mail, and Postal Service equipment during transport.
526.42 Mailability Requirements

Adult birds are mailable only when sent under the following conditions:

• The shipment is mailed using Priority Mail Express service.
  • Each bird must weigh more than 6 ounces and no more than 25 pounds.
  • The number of birds per parcel must follow the container manufacturer limits.
  • The mailer must secure containers approved by the manager, Product Classification (see 214 for address).
  • A mailing container must be used that is constructed by a USPS–approved manufacturer listed on the PostalPro website

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
I think that yes some places use USPS to ship birds but if it is done legal or not I don't know. Back when I was looking for my parrotlet there was not many options so I did look online at some of the breeders there. I emailed one place and asked them how the shipping worked because they offered free shipping included in the price back then. They had told me that the bird would be sent to my door so I assume it was with USPS. Luckily I ended up finding a pet shop an hour away on facebook and that is where I got Pip from.

If you are wondering for when you breed/sell your own birds just use the airlines you are not paying for the shipping anyway. If you are wanting to buy birds then find someplace that ships them through the airways. I know my bird toy order was lost last year and was never to be seen again. I would hate to see that with a live bird.

There is a post on another bird forum about a quaker parrot that was shipped USPS and was lost for a bit. That ended up working out in the end but it is just not worth the risk... imo

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
It sounds like you can't ship parrotlets at all, according to the rules!

The bird must weigh 6 ounces. P'letts do not weigh near this much. One and a half ounce is the largest parrotlet I have seen.( 29 grams is one ounce and Ricochet weighs 35 grams right now,,,this is 1.5 ounces.

PLUS---You can't ship with water or foods due to damaging the shipping containers.

·
Super Moderator
6,627 Posts
We have had this come up several times on the forum, and it's absolutely illegal and dangerous and in no way do we want to condone this action on the forum. Thank you to everyone who helps keep up awareness about this issue because many people are decived into thinking otherwise and have had birds suffer injury and death due to this illegal practice. Airlines United and Delta are the only approved legal and regulated petsafe programs for parrot transport.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mailing birds? I didn't know that was a thing... No seriously though, I had no idea that it was possible to ship animals like that, haha. Anyways, I just gave china post ems tracking a call and they said that it was possible. They'll also provide you a tracing number, which theoretically should allow you to know the whereabouts of your birds 24/7. There should be someone on the call all the time to make sure that you "package" is safe too.

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
The post office is not supposed to ship exotic birds at all! It is a Federal crime, but they do it anyway! They can ship chicks ( chickens) and certain fowls, doves, quail, etc . ( but only from hatcheries, from what I understand) Personally, I would not put my exotics in the post office's care at all. A good friend of mine who is a retired postal delivery person said that he saw many birds dead when shipped by post office. Can you imagine what your bird goes through? A lot of people in this world could care less if they mistreated an animal. Heck, I see adults stick their fingers in bird cages in bird stores even when there is a huge sign telling them not to! They " tease "the poor bird.

Unless Delta Airlines has a hold on shipping animals due to the pandemic, then Delta is the absolute best way to ship. It is cheap, too!

Dave

1 - 9 of 9 Posts