Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I want to feed harrison's bird pellets to my parrotlet who has just started to eat solids, which type of harrison's bird pellets should I give and when do I switch to another type. If anyone knows, please let me know. Thank you

·
Registered
402 Posts
He hasn't eaten solids before, he just came off formula
That's what I mean - he just came off formula, so what was he weaned onto? Was it Harrison's pellets or was it something else (seeds? different kind of pellets?). Abruptly changing the diet entirely of a newly weaned bird may not be a good idea - Harrison's are a good pellet but you would need to introduce slowly along with whatever solid food they are currently weaned onto.

·
Super Moderator
4,631 Posts
Typically when coming off formula most transition to millet then on to a larger variety of seed and pellets. For starting a baby bird on pellets I would make sure to use the super fine / smaller softer pellets in that young beaks do not have the strength.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's what I mean - he just came off formula, so what was he weaned onto? Was it Harrison's pellets or was it something else (seeds? different kind of pellets?). Abruptly changing the diet entirely of a newly weaned bird may not be a good idea - Harrison's are a good pellet but you would need to introduce slowly along with whatever solid food they are currently weaned onto.
Millets

·
Super Moderator
5,053 Posts
Don't take away the millet at all. He wasn't weaned on to an actual food, though? Millet isn't a full diet, and while young birds often eat a lot of millet, it is not healthy for them to go from formula to only millet.

·
Registered
867 Posts
It is important to be giving your baby bird millet right now. It provides them with nutrition, calories (so they do not lose weight) and it is easy for them to digest. Millet is considered a comfort food for birds, so it also helps with stress.

·
Registered
4,982 Posts
Millet is important to a baby and it will teach him/her how to crack and eat a seed or pellet product. There are 3,000 kinds of millet ( grass seeds) . I used either the Germain millet or the California millet. Actually, any millet will do. I always kept a spray of millet hanging in the cage, even after my Bogie was 10 years old. He nibbled on it from time to time. So did Ricochet.
Harrison's makes a Super Fine pellet and this is a good transitional food offer. Your bird may not eat pellets, so maybe it is good to have a good small hook bill seed mix with low amounts of sunflower seeds and safflower seeds in it. Sprinkle a good layer of Harrison's Super Fine pellets on top.

Try to stay away from pellets or seeds that have been dyed with beautiful colors. Dyes are harmful.
Try to offer a fresh broccoli floret to your birdie, once he is starting to eat seed/pellet mixes.

Remember... Your baby has not seen new foods set out for him, so he may not know to eat them right away. Keep an eye out for this. Also, go to You Tube Videos and look for videos like, " How or What do you feed a young parrotlet? "

You will be surprised how many videos are out there.

David and Vicki

1 - 10 of 10 Posts