Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi again. Sorry to be posting so many questions but Kai is my first Parrotlet and I want to be sure I am doing everything I can to keep him safe, happy, and healthy. Kai is learning how to lift the doors to his food and water dishes and it’s just a matter of time before he has it down pat. I was using bread ties but he is starting to chew on them and I am afraid this might be harmful so I’ve removed them. What can I get to latch the doors that would be safe and none toxic? Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
I would say a snap link/hook or quick link but make sure they are stainless steel and not galvanized. Most bird toys have them to hang in the cage so when you discard an old toy keep the clasp that was used.

I also think an old dog leash with the quick release hook end would work too but just make sure it is a bird safe metal.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
My love bird used to open the doors, I bought those electrical alligator clips and they kept the doors secure.

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
Miss Mary....I use clothes pins to hold the doors shut or open. Use the clothes pins that have the metal spring in them, not the solid wood ones.

Dave;)

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would say a snap link/hook or quick link but make sure they are stainless steel and not galvanized. Most bird toys have them to hang in the cage so when you discard an old toy keep the clasp that was used.

I also think an old dog leash with the quick release hook end would work too but just
make sure it is a bird safe metal.
Thank you.

·
Super Moderator
6,613 Posts
I would probaly use a zip tie, and just check it perioically but I like all the ideas.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I would probaly use a zip tie, and just check it perioically but I like all the ideas.
I was using white zip ties but he started chewing on them and since they are on the doors that open to his feeding and water bowls I was afraid of pieces from the ties falling in his food or water and him eating it. If he won’t eat it then I’d be just as happy using the ties.

·
Registered
859 Posts
You've got a bunch of good ideas here, and I don't have any better ones, but I just wanted to say you don't need to apologize for asking a lot of questions. That's what this forum is here for! You're trying to take the best possible care of your birdie, and we all appreciate that.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You've got a bunch of good ideas here, and I don't have any better ones, but I just wanted to say you don't need to apologize for asking a lot of questions. That's what this forum is here for! You're trying to take the best possible care of your birdie, and we all appreciate that.
Thank you very much. I really am trying to do what is best for my little guy. I find this forum to be very valueable and it’s so wonderful that everyone is so willing to take the time to share.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I tied 2 little nuts (as in nuts and bolts) on opposite ends of a piece of string and threaded it through the bars of the cage to weigh down the door. I was always afraid of that door because it was a guillotine style - that opened upwards. Bigboy figured it out early. I saw him slip out under it. I could forsee that door landing right on his neck. Bigboy ended up playing with the nuts that hung down past the door but never again was able to push or pull open that door.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I tied 2 little nuts (as in nuts and bolts) on opposite ends of a piece of string and threaded it through the bars of the cage to weigh down the door. I was always afraid of that door because it was a guillotine style - that opened upwards. Bigboy figured it out early. I saw him slip out under it. I could forsee that door landing right on his neck. Bigboy ended up playing with the nuts that hung down past the door but never again was able to push or pull open that door.
Sounds like a great idea. Thank you for sharing it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts