Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm just learning myself. But I read in a book I got about them that onions can kill them as well (who would want a bird with bad breath anyways!)
If you find anything please post it on here, I just got my bird a few days ago and really want to be sure he is eating well. I've heard that sometimes they will not eat and starve to death..I'm so scared he will do that.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Bad foods

I have a book that states
Rhubarb and avacados
Eggplant
ChocolateSweet and salty foods
Alcohol
Caffiene <-- as if they need any!:eek:

If I discover any others, I'll post em'

Billy T

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just want to say that Senor Azul LOVES broccoli. Last night I was taking it out of the package to wash it and he really wanted to go for it as if it were millet spray. I cut the little tops off so it's nice and small like seed/sprouts. It makes me feel so good to see him chow down on healthy food.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I found this information on www.parrotlets.us

Diet
Provide a variety of fresh fruit (listed below) plus cooked and fresh vegetables daily. Frozen mixed vegetables (peas, green beans, lima beans, carrots and corn) is good. Run hot water over them until they are thawed. Cut up (into pieces as small as the frozen mix) fresh broccoli and mix it with the other vegetables. Cauliflower and other vegetables can be added for variety. Only leave these vegetables, and other cooked food, in the cage for 1 hour. They go bad quickly and will make your parrotlet sick if they are left in the cage.

Fruit: apples without the seeds, grapes, berries, peaches, pears, bananas, mangos, melons, cherries without the seeds, etc. Oranges, tangerines and grapefruit should only be given at most twice a week.
A good seed mix should be available at all times. A cockatail mix, with few sunflower seeds, is good. For non-color mutations parrotlets, provide pellets. Color mutation parrotlets have problems digesting pellets. ((I have spoken with my avian vet and she says the color mutation pellet problem is very rare. She recommended that I still provide pellets and if I noticed any strange behavior to contact her))
Little parrotlets have huge appetites! A little seed dish won't be enough for the whole day. Make sure your seed dish can hold at least a cup of seed. Check it to be sure fresh seeds, not just seed husks, are still available at dinner time. You'll probably need to refill it every evening
Cooked brown rice, beans, pasta and sprouted seeds can be added to the mixed vegetables regularly. Here is the recipe for the vegetable mix we feed our parrotlets daily: http://www.parrotlets.us/recipe. Millet spray can be available at all times.
Cuttlebone should be available always. Do not offer grit.
Be sure drinking water is clean and always available. Change drinking water at least once a day.

Safety
- Foods that are poisonous to parrotlets are: chocolate, avocados, sugar, salt, alcohol.
- Keep parrotlets away from smoke, toxic fumes (including scented candles, plug-in air fresheners, aerosol sprays, Fabreeze, Carpet Fresh, carpet cleaners, pine-scented air fresheners for cars, scented Kleenex, etc.) and poisonous plants.
- Teflon gives off toxic fumes when heated that are deadly to birds. Avoid teflon coated cooking pans, space heaters made with Teflon coating, etc.

- Never leave parrotlets unsupervised with children or other pets.
- Never take parrotlets outside unless they are in a cage. A parrotlet with clipped wings can still fly.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Oh man, lets see if I can remember all the ones here that I know of....

Non of the following:
Nutmeg
lima beans
avocado
eggplant
seed or pits of any fruit
chocolate
caffine

Things to take it easy on:
citrus foods
grapes
onion (can have a BIT but not much)

Avoid and DO NOT use anything NON STICK. It does not have to say Teflon to be bad for your bird, and it DOES NOT have to be burned or heated to a high temp. Just heating it releases fumes and it doesn't matter that your birds are in the other room with the door closed. All fumes travel thru the air on the currents that run thru your house, and will eventually get into that room. And non stick coating does not necessarily kill birds immeditately, many many birds have died very slowly by being poinsoned on a regular basis from these things.

I was not aware about rhubarb, but I sure do now!

ALso, take it easier on the dried fruits, their sugars are more intense with the drying process and so a bird can eat more, but is also taking in that much more sugar. Dried fruits are great to give, just go easy and dont' provide them as an only food in replacement of all else simply because their easy to feed.

I will ask around another site a frequent and see what they say over there too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts