Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all, my baby parrotlet is new and still unsure of things around her. Sometimes she doesn't like the big scary hand poking around the things in her cage, especially near her, so she does this weird lunge in addition to the open beak aggression stance. It's weird because she'll stare at me, lunge, and TOTALLY MISS. I try to appease her with millet, and she'll lunge at it again, except hitting it on target and then end up happily munching to herself. After that, she allows me to be near her and even touch her to the point of stroking and petting her head, wings and beak, and especially the side of her face which she just LOVES and basically throws her head back with her eyes shut and lets me get at her neck. Very cat-like...

So second, HOW do you pet a parrotlet correctly? Are you supposed to stick within the feathers or go all the way to the skin? I don't really understand the bird's naked (featherless) anatomy so I don't know what I'm hitting when I stroke her around that area. Sometimes there's something sharp... New feathers?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Ah. "snake bite". I think other more experienced owners here will tell you that she is getting territorial about the cage space, and will advise you to clean cage/move toys while she is out of the cage (although mine flies back specifically to attack if I am reorganizing).

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah okay. She's only been with me for 3 days though, and she freaks out if I bring her out of the cage. Just trying to bond with the little birdie a bit. It's hard to resist when she actually lets me stroke her like that! Though when she's cranky, or surprised, she does the "snake bite" still. I was just wondering what the heck it is. It's really cute though. Hahaha. Any ideas for the second part of the question?

·
Registered
11,181 Posts
It's totally normal, she's just letting the "threat" know that she won't tolerate it! My guys "miss" all the time, just as a warning. If I persist, I'll get a bite or if I am just plain stupid and don't even realize that I keep doing the same thing over and over again which they don't like, they'll just bite and don't warn me anymore (doesn't happen so much anymore since I'm careful, more so when I first got them and was getting to know them).

As for petting, I'll say if she's enjoying it, then you're doing it right. If she jerks back or doesn't let you pet her, then she didn't like it. The sharp thing you're feeling is likely a new feather coming out, just be careful around them since it you hit it right, it can be painful. Otherwise, just make sure to only pet on the head, anywhere else and she may think you're getting "busy" with her which probably won't do anything now, but when she's older, she may want to lay eggs.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Otherwise, just make sure to only pet on the head, anywhere else and she may think you're getting "busy" with her which probably won't do anything now, but when she's older, she may want to lay eggs.
Aww man! So does that mean that if I want a little bird that I can cuddle all over it means getting a boy?

·
Registered
11,181 Posts
Aww man! So does that mean that if I want a little bird that I can cuddle all over it means getting a boy?
Nope. If you do it to a boy... he can be doing his "business" on your hand/arm that you don't want him to do! The big difference... there won't be any eggs:)

·
Registered
565 Posts
Don't worry, once you teach her that head scritches feel good she'll be running up to you all the time and ducking her head for more, and you won't have time to pet the rest of her anyway! :)

·
Registered
264 Posts
Well, don't take it too hard. I sometimes pet my girl's back. Its not a strict rule, just a good idea. I try to only pet her head, but sometimes I simply cannot resist. She is super adorable. How can I not cuddle her?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts