Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,053 Posts
Training treats have to be something that the individual bird sees as a treat, so it will be decided by your parrotlet. Some like small almond pieces or walnut pieces or hemp seeds, but each bird has its own preference. It has to be something he really wants to eat, so you really have to ask your bird.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Figure out what treat your bird loves the most. If necessary cut them into small pieces and only give him that particular treat when you are training him. A favorite treat that is only given during training should really help motivate your bird! ;)

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
I have not found anything that my guy loves. My last guy loved peanuts so that was his treat.

·
Registered
4,979 Posts
~~~Hello~~~
I have found that parrotlets are really picky eaters overall. Their favorite treat could be a fresh veggie or a seed or just a simple praise from their human. I never trained my birds to do tricks or perform tasks, except for things like stepping up or if I asked them for a kiss kiss. Both my p'letts were extreme talkers! I was lucky! Bogie had a vocabulary of 66 words, sentences and phrases and Ricochet had 25 words, etc., when he was only 18 months old. I never had to use a treat to teach them to talk.

I did find their favorite treats. Bogie loved hemp and sunflower seeds. Ricochet loved hemp and pieces of a fresh broccoli floret. I did limit the sunflower seeds! They are fattening. Each bird is different! You have to find their " Treat Button ".

David🦜

·
Super Moderator
4,629 Posts
Try many things to find what food / activity your bird will risk much for. As some said it can be walnut, pecans, hemp seeds, sunflower seeds, etc. With Bo it was sunflower seeds, with Jules it was walnuts. Still working on Rio but it is looking like hemp seeds are going to be the winner. If you have a seed bird that eat a mix of seeds then find the favorite and withdrawal the seed they like most for a treat situation. Thus when Bo like sunflower seeds then his general mix did not include sunflower seeds but were only given as a treat. Jules was walnut so that was not an issue since walnut is not as a rule in seed mixes. Same with Rio, help does not seem to be a common seed so all I have to do is give him hemp only for treats.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts