Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i currently have Sweetie on Higgins Safflower Gold for Cockateils and Conures but she only eats the Safflower in the seed mix and occasionally some other seeds i bought the Safflower Gold for Parrots and did not realize til today that alot of ingredients are whole and she cannot eat the majority of it. My question is what kind of seed and pellet diet should i get her? the woman who i bought her from said i could give her any seed diet as long as there's no sunflower seeds in it. there are so many bird foods out there and i am new at this and i have no idea on what is best for her

·
Super Moderator
4,920 Posts
Why can't she eat it? Tumi eats that in the cockatiel/conure size. He also eats pellets and nutriberries.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Sunflower seeds are OK in moderation. I used to pick them out but my vet told me to stop. He said they provide fun and enrichment in their diet. As long as they are eating a variety of food its okay.

I give Azuki Roudybush crumbles or mini sized pellets. He likes both. He also gets an orchard blend nutriberry and fresh mash everyday. The only seed he gets is a combination on conure and cockatiel seed that is added to his mash.

The most important thing is to make sure they are eating a variety of foods.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
there's alot of nuts in the shell like almonds and peanuts and theirs hard corn and stuff in their that is to hard for her to bite into due to her incident with the vet she can eat small seeds but the bigger harder stuff she can't i can break it up for her and she might eat it that way and i'll do that til the bag is gone its a 3lb bag so that will last me about 3 months

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
I chop the big stuff up for my conure because she's picky ;) You could always buy cockatiel seed and mix the two.

·
Super Moderator
4,920 Posts
If you have large nuts in shells, then you bought the wrong size of it. Tumi's cockatiel/conure sized seed doesn't have that issue, and nothing is more difficult than a safflower seed for him. There are slivered almonds, but they are without shells.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah i did buy the wrong size i didnt realize it til today when i opened the new bag but ill make due til its gone i am not going to waste money or food plus itll give her a chance to try nuts cause i have tried everything to get her to eat nuts and nothing that i have tried works so i will chop the nuts up and put it in a dish and leave it there all day and see what happens

·
Super Moderator
6,553 Posts
You may have to try a few pellets before finding a winner. I'm having some luck with the Harrison's I got but so far I have to crush them and entice her to eat them or soak them a little and hand feed them.
Check out the thread I made titled "Bird Food..." It has phots and descriptions of a bunch of members foods.
I was going to post the link but couldn't get it to work. It's in the diet section.

·
Super Moderator
4,469 Posts
Jules was a seed only bird that I could not get to eat pellets at all. Our compromise is Nutriberries. She grinds and eats those things till all that is left is dust. She is happy because she gets the seeds she likes. I am happy because there are pellets in them so she gets some balance.

For seed only diet I had her on volkman parrotlet mix.

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
Using a food chopper for the bigger pellets---it suites Ollie fine. He gets a mash mix with his kale/sprouts, etc. I have wasted food on him getting the wrong size, but it's minimal.

·
Registered
7 Posts
We started our little guy (5 mo) on Wild Harvest Advanced Nutrition Cockatiel that has a mix of pellet, dried veggies and seeds, and he eats most of the smaller items and the sunflower seeds in the mix, but the mix has some large pellets he ignores. Trying to get him to eat Roudybush crumbles mixed added to this. He also gets fresh veggies every morning that usually includes a whole fresh broccoli floret, a few leafy greens, or a whole baby carrot. Cooked corn on the cob and berries are a favorite but makes a huge mess in the cage. Oh he has millet usually every day.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts