Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone -

Milo was preening on my lap today and this feather came out. I wasn't watching when it happened so I'm not sure if he pulled it out or if it fell out. Usually when he preens little down feathers come out but very few. This looks like a flight feather. He is 4 months old so he is reaching molt time but he has no pins.

Any ideas? I'm just concerned that he pulled it out and it wasn't supposed to come out.

Attachments

·
Registered
220 Posts
It looks like just a flight or maybe a tail feather - if there's no blood on him and he seems fine I wouldn't worry! They do molt out bigger feathers too, it's just that the downy ones are so much more numerous we see more of them. My birds will also occasionally drop feathers when they aren't in the middle of a molt - usually tail or wing ones - and I assume they're just loose or it's time to come out! Overall as long as he seems healthy and active I wouldn't worry!

·
Registered
11,181 Posts
I would agree, looks like a wing/tail feather. One of the big ones. They can lose one here and there without it being considered a molt. So I wouldn't worry. If he's plucking, you'll see bare spots and lots of feathers.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Tail feather. Chances are that the old one was loose/fell out because there's a new one growing in. New ones need a place to come in so the push the old ones out.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. Looking at his tail feathers it does look like one. Come to think of it, the top one was looking a little scraggly and I don't see it anymore so maybe that was the one that fell out. He got a clean bill of health from the vet 2 weeks ago so I am not concerned that it is health related unless it continues. Thanks again!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts