Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read that the average parrotlet weight is 35 grams, but my little guy has never exceeded 33 grams and he is about 6.5 years old. Is he just small or is your parrotlet somewhere in this range?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
On a digital food scale, set to grams. He doesn't mind standing on it.

I highly recommend getting a digital scale with grams. Ounces are not appropriate for weighing such light objects. Weighing can help detect sudden weight loss (sickness) before it gets too out of hand.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Sparky: 28g

MeMe: 29g

fully flighted very healthy 8 year old birds.

I hope this helps.

regards,

Art S.

·
Registered
78 Posts
My vet told me they should be between 30 and 35 grams, 35 being on the heavier side.

My guys are 30 and 32.

ArtS's are probably lighter because they are flighted, and so will expel a lot more energy with their flying. Clipped birds will be heavier because they need to find other ways to work their food off. Which is why you have to be much more careful for diets of clipped birds, and make sure they get lots of exercise.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
My Molly (pacific) is 26 grams, and Minty (green rump) is 22 grams. My vet tells me both are perfectly healthy and a great weight for each of them. :)

·
Registered
194 Posts
My miss chunky-butt Pearl weighs in at a whopping 39 grams, down from 42 only 3 weeks ago though. I've started calling her Miss Pudge. :eek: We're working on it though!

·
Registered
208 Posts
Flint at 1 year old is 27 grams (consistent since about 6 months old)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Guys, my female parrotlet is 3 months old, it weights 20grams with her wings clipped and my male parrotlet (same age weights 27grams) ...is this normal ? i feed them harrisons pellets and vegetables.... :(((
[/URL][/IMG]

·
Registered
475 Posts
Maui is 29 g. with wings clipped and he is 4 months old.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Levi was 24g when I brought him home as a baby, he's been holding steady at 27g for the last two months.

If anyone's having trouble weighing their birds.. you can turn on your digital kitchen scale, set a perch on it, reset the scale to 0 and then have your bird sit on the perch. Also works with a bowl of food. That's not how I weigh Levi, he just gets plunked on there and he doesn't mind, but I see lots of birds being weighed that way on Instagram.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Today, my little man is 30 g. His weight range throughout his life has been between 26 and 32 grams. He's a very healthy 13.5 year old.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Stanley is a 3 year old male Green Rumped weighing in at an average 25gms. He has been between 21gms. and 26gms since I brought him home from the breeder. His diet is Roudybush/Zupreem/Nutriberries and assorted fruits, veggies, and protein. I weighed him daily for the first two years, and reduced to weekly this year.

·
Super Moderator
6,623 Posts
Mine weigh between 28-30. I know a little guy who's 27. All are normal weights. :)

·
Registered
141 Posts
Peanut, my 5-year old boy, weighs 26 grams. Kiwi, my one-year old female, weighs 34 grams... She is a piglet and likes to dominate all the food dishes... Peanut is becoming more assertive about his eating so hopefully he will gain a couple :)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts