Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the first time I've seen the "neck wiggle"; looked it up, but apparently it can be one of several things?
Here's a link to a google video of him doing it.
He's 7 months old, had him for 2 weeks. Is he throwing up? I read that's one of the reasons.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Hi! Yes he is wiggle necking at you and trying to feed you through regurgitation. At 7 months it's pretty normal to do more frequently, but a general rule of thumb is to discourage it by ignoring the behaviour. It's common for them to do this when they are either young (< 1 year ish) or feeling hormonal (usually in the springtime).
In this case I wouldn't worry about it too much. When your bird is older you can use hormone discouraging tactics, but it's likely just because they're young that they're doing it, so I would just ignore the behaviour.

·
Administrator
5,147 Posts
Aaaaahhhhh, yes. It is the wiggle neck. young especially male birds wiggle neck a lot. Rio is doing it multiple times a day at the moment and he is a bit older than your guy. Its a birds and bees thing. There is a mating dance that can go with it. Rio fluffs up his bottom and does this strange circle figure eight dance that usually ends up with a wiggle neck so do not be surprised if a mating dance shows up.
When it happen ignore it. Do not discipline or acknowledge and especially do not encourage. Which is hard because they are adorable when they do it. But our little ones are attention hogs and are like to please us so we do not want to encourage this behavior by making it a "thing" for them. Especially since they are like children and tend to pick up what we do not want them too.

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
I have definitely seen the wiggle neck in Kiwi, although quite rarely perhaps because she’s a female. I have heard of parrotlets doing the wiggle neck to toys and other inanimate objects as kind of a possessive thing too. I agree with the others - ignore it even if it is super cute and funny. I have never seen this dance though! That’s fascinating!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Luna dances an 8 shape with a wiggle neck finale. She's been doing it since about 2 months old, when I got her. She's 4 months now and, although I ignore it, she does it every morning and evening.

·
Administrator
5,147 Posts
I have definitely seen the wiggle neck in Kiwi, although quite rarely perhaps because she’s a female. I have heard of parrotlets doing the wiggle neck to toys and other inanimate objects as kind of a possessive thing too. I agree with the others - ignore it even if it is super cute and funny. I have never seen this dance though! That’s fascinating!
speaking of possessive. Rio was in to the Pam spray can but has now taken on medicine bottles. I think they are his girl friends and the boy has a harem

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
Oh Rio!! What a character!! The Pam spray can!!! Hysterical!! A little loverboy in his own mind!! That is so cute!!!

• Haha
Reactions: LunaBlue

·
Registered
16 Posts
As long as you know he’s just regurgitating and not struggling with something stuck in his throat that shouldn’t be there, I’d say you’ve got yourself a heck of a show-offy wiggler! It always seems soooo theatrical, like part of a seductive dance or something. I mean, there’s “feeding” you…and then there’s “sexy sparkly salting chef meme feeding you”! Your little guy is definitely the latter! Lol

1 - 8 of 8 Posts