Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Zeke is 30gm at a little over 3 months old. There have been a lot of threads about weight lately. A lot of people agree that 28 - 30 grams is healthy. Just a note - Zeke doesn't get pellets, except as part of the flour in his birdie bread/muffins and those are the non-colored more natural kind. Birds in the wild don't eat pellets so I made the decision to give him a varied diet.

·
Super Moderator
6,623 Posts
Mr. Tickle is now 4 months and I weighted him today and he is 32.5 grams. He is going through his first molt and he is eating a lot. I feed him Harrison super fine pellets mixed with fresh fruits and vegetables and nutriberries every day.

Is he a little bit too heavy or it's fine?
32.5 can be perfectly normal. I personally have handled Parrotlet from about 26g to 31, they just vary a little in size. I also take my Birds in for wellness visits at the vet and they can tell if a bird is over or under weight by an exam also. It's best to weigh them often so you know what their average is and it makes it easy to notice if they are sick, they will loose weight quickly (cause for allarm)
His diet sounds great, nice job.

·
Super Moderator
4,742 Posts
Mr. Tickle is now 4 months and I weighted him today and he is 32.5 grams. He is going through his first molt and he is eating a lot. I feed him Harrison super fine pellets mixed with fresh fruits and vegetables and nutriberries every day.

Weight is a complicated issue. The right weight for any bird can only really be known by the feeling of his keel. I suggest during his next vet visit you ask about the his weight and be guided by that. Until then just feed him well and let him exercise / fly as much as he can. His current weight of 32.5 grams is acceptable, but if he starts pushing 40 I would be concerned.

·
Registered
5,059 Posts

:) Hello!
It is good to hear that Mr.Tickles is doing well. 32.5 grams puts him at 1.4 ounces. This is a good, hefty bird, if he flies a lot. If he just sits all the time, then he is a little heavy for a non active bird.
My 7 year old Bogie is 34 grams, but he is very active and flies a lot. He recently went through a health problem that made him lose 7 grams in 12 days. This was not good for him, since he was a very active bird before the problem. I gave him extra treats of sunflower and safflower seeds to get him back to his normal weight. Since he is an active, flying bird, he can weigh 34 grams and be healthy.

Hello, Mr. Tickles!

·
Registered
19 Posts
He is quite active, on the days when I'm working he gets around 2 hours out of the cage time and he flies around. He doesn't fly more than few tours around my room though, he mainly plays and climbs on whatever he fancies. Mainly following me whatever I do he has to be involved. On the days I'm off he gets +5hrs outside his cage time. So he is out every day no matter what.

I think I have been feeding him too many fruits, I was giving him fruits daily and he loves them but now after reading a bit more about their nutrition I should be more careful about the sugar levels. It's just cause he likes strawberries so much and kiwi I kept giving him. I have cut down and now he gets once or twice a week maximum fruits.

Another thing I am starting to get concerned, how long can I leave the fresh vegetables in his cage for? I've read on another post that maximum 1 hr for fresh food but surely broccoli for example can be left a bit longer?
Because I let him out before I go to work sometimes he is too excited and wants to play before actually eating and I'm afraid if I offer him fresh vegetables only when I'm home in the morning he will not get a chance to eat them and I will have to take them out.

Is there any fresh vegetable that can stay for 8 hours as long as I am at work in his dish without problems?

·
Super Moderator
5,100 Posts
In the U.S., they sell "wheatgrass" in the grocery store for crazy people who think that smoothies should contain grass, and it is planted in dirt, growing. Something like that would be safe to leave, as something actively growing is by definition fresh. I would think outside the box and find some plants to feed him, attaching them outside the cage so that he can reach them with his beak.
He's a cute monkey! :D

·
Registered
26 Posts
Kiwi's weight is 19 grams. I have had him a couple of months. The avian vet
say he is overweight. She said just feed him Roughybush and nutriberries.
Only vegetables once a week. He love whole grain bread and carrot.
Does anyone know what them should weigh.
19 grams is really really small. 26-29 seems more accurate. (Depending on lines). I am not sure why vet would recommend bread over veggies? Mine LOVES cooked quinoa (we haven’t tried sprouted yet) and organic kale! Roudybush nibbles (crumbles are too big). Breeder recommended. For first month in new home, access to spray millet at all times….not forever. Should be a treat (fatty), but very calming when acclimating.
I still don’t understand Brad. This is a general statement, giving wild birds/ducks bread can kill them. Whole-grain rice pasta quinoa barley Millet teff etc ….All of that I understand. But the bread I don’t. Plus it depends on the type of bread is it organic? Is it loaded with sugar or corn syrup? I would think all of that would have an effect on the bird.
That was a very long comment to say 26 to 29 g sounds a lot more normal

21 - 29 of 29 Posts