Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kiwi's weight is 19 grams. I have had him a couple of months. The avian vet
say he is overweight. She said just feed him Roughybush and nutriberries.
Only vegetables once a week. He love whole grain bread and carrot.
Does anyone know what them should weigh.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Wow, if Kiwi's overweight at 4m then my Saffron is morbidly obese! She weighs about 27g (as of last Monday) and is only 3m. Today is weigh day for her, and I'm sure she hasn't fluctuated too much. I'd be more concerned about if your little one is eating well enough and maintaining/slowly gaining weight. I've heard they should weigh anywhere from 18-28g and 31-34g, so who knows what their ideal weight is! Now, my male who we just rescued IS obese. He won't stay for us to weigh him but he's well over the 34g so we're working on fixing that problem by making sure he gets the healthy food over the junk seeds he was on before. Both of my birds get mash/bird appetit in the morning (depending on what I have made), fresh veggies daily, and a mix of 3/4 pellets and 1/4 seed (Mr. Mal is on a slightly different pellet/seed diet since we're trying to convert him). Nutriberries are used only as a treat, but that's just my personal preference. I'll also give them birdie bread about once a week as a treat and depending on what we have for dinner, they may get some of our food.

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
My Ollie stays 19 gm. last time I checked. He is fine for weight----females normally are heavier than males. Don't worry, give her good veggies/foods daily and she will thrive.

·
Super Moderator
4,781 Posts
19 gram sounds good to me. Jules my 4ish year old blue parrotlet hen goes between 27 grams to 29 grams. But weights varies a lot depending on blood lines and various birds. The only way to really tell if an individual bird is overweight is by checking its keel, which is something an avian vet should be able to do.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
My parrotlet is about 10 months and weighs 28 grams - but when she was 4 months she was 26 grams.
Even if you're trying to make sure he is eating healthy - make sure he is actually eating. My birdie doesn't like pellets too much so would only eat 4-5 pieces/day even if it's the only thing there.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank for all the good advise. I think Kiwi needs his vegetable mix daily.

·
Registered
208 Posts
According to "The Parrotlet Handbook" written by Sandee Molenda: The Pacific Parrotlet is approximately 5 inches in length and averages 28 grams. As well it goes on to say under other necessary foods: Whether eating pellets, seed or both Parrotlets need a wide variety of fruits, vegetable and greens daily.

I find it odd that the vet thinks 19 grams at 4 month is overweight. Flint (male) has maintained a weight of 27-29 grams from at least 6 months on - that is when I bought the Ozeri scale and started weighing him.

Bread maybe could be cut out but veggies???? They add almost no calories so that makes no sense to me?

·
Super Moderator
6,627 Posts
19 grams?! I can't believe the vet thinks that overweight. If he's not loosing weight I wouldn't be concerned but I think average is more like 27-30 like others have stated. If your baby likes fresh veggies and grains give them everyday if you like. It's good for them. As far as cage food, if she recommends a certain pellet that's fine as long as he eats it! Never change his food all at once without gradually mixing it in and make sure he's eating it. Nutruberries are great and usually a hit, they also gave good nutrient and pellet in them.

What are you feeding right now?
Do you weigh him yourself everyday?
I would expect him to gain some weight, 19 grams is light. At 12 weeks my Melody was 27 grams and she is 9 months now and a stready 30grams. But like I said, just be sure he's not loosing weight. Let him eat as much as he wants don't restrict food. There is nothing wrong with fresh food more than once a week.

·
Super Moderator
6,627 Posts
My Ollie stays 19 gm. last time I checked. He is fine for weight----females normally are heavier than males. Don't worry, give her good veggies/foods daily and she will thrive.
Really? Wow! Didn't realize some of these guys were that light.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
With all the good response. I am going to continue with the fresh vegetable
daily. He is eating Roughybush pellets and a few nutriberries daily. He is not a
big fan of fruit. Tried blackberries last night. Loves green beans.
Not sure why vet said he was overweight. I am going to get a scale

·
Super Moderator
4,781 Posts
daily. He is eating Roughybush pellets and a few nutriberries daily. He is not a
scale is a good idea. Regularly weightings are a good way to keep track of the health of you bird. I weigh Jules weekly to be sure she is eating as she must. Back when she lost her mate she dropped 4-5 grams in a week and a scale let me catch the issue and resolve before she got too far down the wrong road. I got mine for less than $10 off amazon.

·
Super Moderator
6,627 Posts
Glad to hear. He sounds like healthy eater to me and NOT overweight. :D

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
I think Parrotlets , just like any other species come in different sizes , or strains ? I have seen bigger and smaller Parrotlets at many bird shows. I don't think I would ever go by what a book say's my bird should weigh , or for that matter a vet who may seem to be pushing a certain type (Brand) of food a varied diet of fresh veggies is the best source of proper nutrition for your bird, along with the type of seed/pellet mixture she eats best. If he is happy and in good feather , I don't think I would be making any changes. A scale is always a good way for you to keep track of his progress .

·
Registered
208 Posts
I don't think I would ever go by what a book say's my bird should weigh
I totally agree with this but just to clarify the book I was referring to doesn't say they should weigh a certain weight, it simply states they "average" 28 grams. Any species of animal has a base point average which is a mid point of higher and lower weights. All species specific books will give an average size (height/weight etc...) which I believe is equally as helpful as general temperament, lifespan, health, etc...even though all these traits are also always going to be variable :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Parrotlets are seed eating birds and do not do as good on an all pellet diet they need good seeds. when my babys ween they are between 28 and 32 grams on average. Fresh veggies and fruits are a good part of their diet justdont feed to many fruits as they are high in sugar.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Your vet is clueless. Daily fresh veggies are important and at this age you should encourage your parrotlet to eat veggies as much as possible. Our little guy was 21 g at 3 months when we got him from the breeder and is now 25-26 g at 6 months.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have had these birds over seventeen years now and have never been concerned about their weight unless they were loosing it to fast. If he/she can walk, fly and is not huffing and puffing just sitting still, and the feathers and beek look good, just be happy it's healthy.
God Bless

·
Registered
19 Posts
a little bit on the chubby side?

Mr. Tickle is now 4 months and I weighted him today and he is 32.5 grams. He is going through his first molt and he is eating a lot. I feed him Harrison super fine pellets mixed with fresh fruits and vegetables and nutriberries every day.

Is he a little bit too heavy or it's fine?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts