Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new parrotlet that I've had for about two and a half weeks now. He was born on January 14th so he's still very young. The problem I'm having is that, all of a sudden, he stopped making the pleasant little warbling noises that I so love. The only sound he makes now is a weird burst of two VERY loud chirps, and as of this morning he's taken to bobbing his head while making it. Originally he would do it a couple times and if I didn't come over to take him out he'd calm down and play with a toy, but this morning he did it for TWO HOURS STRAIGHT (no cruelty here, I just wanted to see if he would stop). When I go over and take him out, though, he doesn't stop. He'll keep tweeting and tweeting and bobbing his head, no matter what I do. He loves getting his head scratched, but he just fends me off if I go to do it. What does he want? What triggered this? He was a perfect little angel before a few days ago! :confused:

Sorry this is so disjointed, I'm just so frustrated and upset by this change.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Odd...I have no idea what is going on but I am sure someone on this forum will have input for you. Hopefully you don't have to wait too long. Callie & enborgle are very knowledgable...hopefully nothing serious.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Not sure what is going on either. I'm still new at this myself. But my little guy makes three different sounds. He will start out with a sweet chirping, then a sound I cant explain, then he will start squawking at the top of his lungs. It doesnt go for hours though,he usually stops after a few minutes. As for the head bobbing I've seen many captive birds do that, but not sure what it means.

·
Banned
146 Posts
It sounds like he has gone back to the baby stage begging for food. Is he eating well? Pooping? Sounds like you got him at a very young age........waiting to see what our knowledgeable people have to say.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Noisy Parrotlet

My 1 year old that I have just started training makes tons of noise but if I talk to him he quiets down. He doesn't play much, mostly climbs around his cage. I would like to know what sounds are normal and what are warning signs.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
He eats well. I truly don't know what it could be. Sometimes talking to him helps, but rarely. He just now made a sound like a dolphin, too! These are new sounds to me and he definitely did not learn them in my house. I agree with the last poster...I can't seem to find anywhere sound clips of all the sounds that parrotlets make, and what they probably mean.

G

·
I have a new parrotlet that I've had for about two and a half weeks now. He was born on January 14th so he's still very young. The problem I'm having is that, all of a sudden, he stopped making the pleasant little warbling noises that I so love. The only sound he makes now is a weird burst of two VERY loud chirps, and as of this morning he's taken to bobbing his head while making it. Originally he would do it a couple times and if I didn't come over to take him out he'd calm down and play with a toy, but this morning he did it for TWO HOURS STRAIGHT (no cruelty here, I just wanted to see if he would stop). When I go over and take him out, though, he doesn't stop. He'll keep tweeting and tweeting and bobbing his head, no matter what I do. He loves getting his head scratched, but he just fends me off if I go to do it. What does he want? What triggered this? He was a perfect little angel before a few days ago!
If he is eating well, I am guessing that he is just experimenting with his voice and its ability to influence your actions. It's also possible that something in the environment is exciting him; for example, my Zozo goes nuts over rustling plastic bags and running water, when the plow truck goes by outside, when I eat popcorn, etc. Finally, it may be that he's stressed out because his environment is too <i>quiet</i>; in the wild, total silence means that there is a predator around.

So, maybe play some mellow music to see if he chills out, but otherwise don't stress too much, and give his noises some time to evolve with his experiments--- I'm sure he will make the happy warbling noises again!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.