Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner

41 - 60 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
That would be pretty cool, actually. I have had some similar thoughts. What might also be cool is a "birdie" or "picture" of the week. Or maybe member of the week? Where throughout the week there will be a poll where you can nominate / vote for people who you feel have been helping out really well, and then at the end of the week the person with the highest votes gets their picture of choice placed on one of the main pages?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Maybe if you could mark threads as a favorite so you can easily go back to an important thread and reference that info

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
The thread subscription feature is very similar to what you are both suggesting.

At the top of a thread, click open up the Thread Tools menu (right above the top post). Select "Subscribe to this Thread".

Then go your Edit Options page. In the second area "Messaging and Notification", look for the Default Thread Subscription Mode option. You can choose how you wish to be notified of new posts in the thread.

You can see your list of subscribed threads on the front page of the control panel.

·
Registered
736 Posts
I agree that I think "classifieds" would just get spamy, but maybe a trade forum. I know I buy tons of stuff that Virgil will never touch. I would love to trade with someone who's bird might use it!

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I think a Memorial forum would be nice. To remember those parrotlets lost. Maybe also certain sections like US, Canada, Europe. Just so parrotlet fans could go to those specific forums and if they wanted to chat to people from their nation. - I had this on a reptile forum and it was nice to check to see if there was anything happening in your area IE bird shows or whatnot. Rather then a general forum where it could become lost in the threads and missed.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Dear Administrator Dave, I am brand new to an internet forum and to TalkParrotlet.com and having difficulties. Would you please consider a New Member Orientation feature addressing the very basics of navigating on the forum site like:
What is the difference between a Post and a Thread?
How and When to Post or Start a Thread.
How to use the Search feature. (Do you use it to find an answer before starting a new thread?)
How to change your user name.

·
Super Moderator
12,210 Posts
Maybe if you could mark threads as a favorite so you can easily go back to an important thread and reference that info
Definitely agree. I have lost two threads that I would love to be able to reference but have never found them again.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
See my responses in bold.
Dear Administrator Dave, I am brand new to an internet forum and to TalkParrotlet.com and having difficulties. Would you please consider a New Member Orientation feature addressing the very basics of navigating on the forum site like:
What is the difference between a Post and a Thread? A thread is made up of posts. This thread is "What Features Do You Want Added?" And you responded to it with your post. This is my post.
How and When to Post or Start a Thread.You start a thread when you wish to discuss a new topic or share a new idea, photo, etc. You make a post when responding to a thread.
How to use the Search feature. (Do you use it to find an answer before starting a new thread?)You can use the search feature to find an answer before posting. This is common etiquette on forums, to search for your answer before creating a thread.
How to change your user name.I changed it for you. :)

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Definitely agree. I have lost two threads that I would love to be able to reference but have never found them again.
Will look into this. It's possible.

Don't forget you can also subscribe to a thread. At the top of the thread, click on Thread Tools. There you can choose to subscribe to a thread. A list of your subscribed threads will appear in your User CP.

·
Registered
2 Posts
A newbie forum would be great!

Thank you in advance for all of your help!

We just adopted Sammie (8wks old, pacific turquoise, hand reared from 3 days old) yesterday on a bit of an impulse and have been researching our butts off. Thankfully, I'm a research ninja and militant believer in educated pet-parenthood. This community has been a tremendous help.
Most of the questions I google lead me here but I can't find a forum specific to new owners (or the newly owned).
It would be a great way to locate and cross-reference info and articles.

Info we are still looking for:

Parrotlet body language
- found some parrot articles but even thy contradict themselves.

Personality-based "bringing baby home"
- our boy has been sweet from the moment we met. He seems to really want contact and interaction. (kisses, cuddles, hiding in hair, steppin up on fingers when you reach in the cage, not wanting to go back in, etc. on day 1)
He seems to cry when Lita (his momma) leaves the room.
Should we interact or back off? How can we tell? How do we not mess up his personality?
I'm strictly enforcing an "on Sammie's terms" interaction schedule but his terms seem to be "I want to meet you people." the articles say 72 hrs...

Appetite
How much should we expect him to eat? His previous mom said he's weaned but not into millet. She sent him with everything, including foods. We gave him veggies last night. What should we expect and what should we watch for?

Lastly, what should we know that we don't even know we should be finding out?

·
Registered
24 Posts
I would really like to see a forum for parrotlet behavior problems and solutions with a sticky for biting. Since there doesn't seem to be a search function, I have been slowly going through the training and bonding forum page by page and checking out the threads with 'biting" in the title. I have found some really helpful tips in older threads that get forgotten as those threads age. For instance somewhere around page 15 i discovered that the amount of light a parrotlet gets per day can influence behavior! and that they can get over stimulated if near a window or too much activity etc. So since Stinky has had a busy last few days and coincidently became suddenly psycho, I covered his cage with a couple of towels and he has been nitey nite quiet all night. I also discovered a tip that recommended an aggressive bird should never be higher than than chest level to you as way of establishing your dominance. There are alot of really great tips and advise and often from the same people...I just think maybe they are so experienced that they know so much they forget some of these tips as new threads are formed. thanks for letting me thor my two cents in!

·
Registered
747 Posts
I would really like to see a forum for parrotlet behavior problems and solutions with a sticky for biting. Since there doesn't seem to be a search function ...
There is a search bar on the left-hand side of the screen right above the Forums list. If you click advanced, you can tell it to search in a particular section instead of the entire forum. I hope I'm not being completely dense (it happens) and missing what you are meaning and that this helps :)

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I would really like to see a forum for parrotlet behavior problems and solutions with a sticky for biting. Since there doesn't seem to be a search function, I have been slowly going through the training and bonding forum page by page and checking out the threads with 'biting" in the title. I have found some really helpful tips in older threads that get forgotten as those threads age. For instance somewhere around page 15 i discovered that the amount of light a parrotlet gets per day can influence behavior! and that they can get over stimulated if near a window or too much activity etc. So since Stinky has had a busy last few days and coincidently became suddenly psycho, I covered his cage with a couple of towels and he has been nitey nite quiet all night. I also discovered a tip that recommended an aggressive bird should never be higher than than chest level to you as way of establishing your dominance. There are alot of really great tips and advise and often from the same people...I just think maybe they are so experienced that they know so much they forget some of these tips as new threads are formed. thanks for letting me thor my two cents in!
Bonding and Training board and there is a sticking for gentle beak to help with bitting.

·
Registered
46 Posts
it would be nice if the edit profile photos was a little more easy... it's hard to post photos from my iphone they always are sideways(?) it would also be cool if viewing other peoples photos were easier too... I've got the hang of it now but when I first was on the site it was tricky to figure out...

41 - 60 of 88 Posts