Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What exactly is a 'community aviary'??

Is it when you put different types of birds in one big, huge space?? With no cages... just perches and stuff for them to do?

My friend's grandmother has a whole bunch of birds in a room as her spare bedroom. (14x14 room). She has many budgies, parakeets, and tons of finches just flying around the room. Is that even posssible??

Is that a 'community aviary'??

·
Registered
835 Posts
Yes, that is a community aviary and it is a wonderful way to keep birds!

I wish parrots were never kept caged, only housed as you have seen with your friend's grandmother.

My birds are temporarily back in cages, but the normal housing is in a cageless, free flighted room that is about 12 ft x 16 ft or so. In this room we have - macaws, grey, cockatiels, conure, grass parakeets, parrotlets and they do wonderfully together :)

I started a thread about aviaries and bird rooms - is it okay to link to another forum here for that thread?

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Yes, as long as they all get along, the largest space is always best. In the wild, they have no cage, so the largest area is best. Fun to see them in large aviaries. They get along well usually in such large areas.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts