Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What does a parrotlet look like when it is actually molting??

Can someone give me a picture of a parrotlet that is/was molting on its 4month.

All this talk of plucking has gotten me into a phobia that Kiwi is giong to start plucking.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Well mine is about the same age as yours (born march 16) He is starting his molting process at a little under 5 months. Its really hard to notice at first, and I still dont see a difference in him. I just know he is molting because there are a lot of feathers on the bottom of his cage, and he has some loose ones. Sometimes you will see a little fuzzy "down-feather" sticking out. And on the bottom of his cage, you will see quite a bit of feathers. They say the molting happens in different sections of the body, instead of all at once, because if they lose them all at the same time, they will get cold, etc. If me ad you can keep this thread going, we can keep each other updated since ours are "on the same page"
ok?

·
Registered
536 Posts
Paulie is 2 and his molts are all pretty much like his first one. Lots of feathers on the cage bottom...some from all parts of his body, tail, wings and chest.
He gets crabby and beats his toys to death! LOL. I give him more sleep (13 hrs) and this seems to help with the CRABBYS! He also likes to get his shower and preens more too. This must be normal because all my birds were like this and I've never had a plucker

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Yep, you'll definitely notice more feathers about.

When my male was going through his juvenile molt he looked kind of unkept - and he had a lot of pin feathers on his head.

My female looked a bit unkept also but since she had him to groom her she never got any pin feathers. On her I could see a few of the grey down feathers sticking out on her chest but her green feathers grew back in over them.

On my males last molt at about a year old - I didn't notice any physical change - he looked pretty much the same as normal but I noticed his loss of feathers (no more pin feather for him either :) )

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
There should'nt be big plucked areas. When she was young for her first molt, she had feathers on the bottom of the cage and little pin feathers that came out. She always looked fine. If you mist them and they get the right foods, lighting, etc, they do fine.

I didn't notice anything much really. No gray feathers. Just new pinfeathers that came out. Misting helps.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, He does attack his toys often. Lol!

And I do see that he has greyish feathers popping out. I thought it was my grey cockatiels feathers.

BUT there is this one spot on his chest that looks kinda weird. Greyish -- mostly white --, no green coverering it -- a very, VERY tiny spot --. And I have noticed that there is little pin feathers growing on his chest area (around the grey area) and around his neck. Do you think it might be the beginning of plucking, or does that just seem like normal molting? It is a tiny spot and all his other feathers are pretty and there are no bald spots or any other grey spots. I think that is just molting in one spot, correct?

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Did you ever hit a pin feather wrong? - :D They don't like that too much :p
I use to rub my male's pin feathers before the female came along - he'd screech if I rubbed a pin feather too hard - poor guy :)

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I let Kiwi be very independent just like my mother's cockatiel.

I put my finger up to him, he either lays his head down wanting to be pet or he avoids my finger.

If I am petting him and he pinches, I know he is saying 'stop it'.

I put my finger and say "step up". He either just stares at me, or he jumps on my finger.

I never make him do anything, he doesnt want to. He is a very sweet bird too, I think, because of it :D

So with his pin feather, if he doesnt want me around it, I dont go around it. If I pet him wrong, he tells me by nipping or pinching.

·
Registered
794 Posts
oscar is the same way. but kinda different. I will pet him, if he wants me to continue, he will turn his head to where he wants me to pet, and you can see his feathers flare out, and stick out, rather than be flat. And he will nip me if he doesnt want to.
With finger, I say step up, he ALWAYS gets on, but he sometimes getrs right back off. :):):)

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Well, He does attack his toys often. Lol!

And I do see that he has greyish feathers popping out. I thought it was my grey cockatiels feathers.

BUT there is this one spot on his chest that looks kinda weird. Greyish -- mostly white --, no green coverering it -- a very, VERY tiny spot --. And I have noticed that there is little pin feathers growing on his chest area (around the grey area) and around his neck. Do you think it might be the beginning of plucking, or does that just seem like normal molting? It is a tiny spot and all his other feathers are pretty and there are no bald spots or any other grey spots. I think that is just molting in one spot, correct?

Thanks guys!
This sounds normal to me. My female had the same tiny spot with the grey down showing - unlike my male who never showed any down while molting at all - I guess each bird is different. But I wouldn't worry until the molt is over. You'll be able to tell for sure if it was plucking - there would be a lot more than just a tiny spot or two.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
O! Yah! I forgot to tell you guys this.

Do they change colors when they molt??

Kiwi is turning yellow it seems. :eek:

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
I've never heard of them changing color - their plumage may become brighter and more vibrant - my female is going through her molt and her feathers are coming in more shiny and she is getting her light blue eyeliner as I call it behind her eyes and around the back of her head.

If Kiwi turns yellow after his molt you can start a whole new strain of P'let - after every molt he might be a different color - now that would be cool :D :cool:

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, his left eye is covered around by yellow feathers now.... underneath his beak... and his blue is becoming more darker.

Hopefully, he doesnt change into a yellow parrotlet... I want him to keep his beautiful green.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts