Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bobby is a quiet little chap but sometimes he does make a noise. I was wondering if you could help me figure out what they mean.

1.When he's sitting on my shoulder or in my hair there will be an occasional, very quiet "cheep". Does this mean he is content, or unhappy?

2.When I stand next to his cage he will make a quiet "cheep". Is this a "get away from my house" kind or noise, or a hello? He also does it when he's on the floor before I go to pick him up.

3.Loud "cheep", a dozen or so in a row. This is rare, but can be at any time of the day when in his cage.

4. A "tut tut" kind of noise over and over. I copy him by clicking my tongue on the top of my mouth. He does this in his cage.

5. I can only describe it as grinding his beak. He sounds like he's eating seeds but he's not. He does this either in his cage or when on my shoulder/in my hair.

This one isn't a sound, but he fluffs up and rubs/rests his head slowly on his toys. I noticed him doing this when on my shoulder. He was rubbing against my dressing gown. Does that mean he's happy too? He looked happy :)

Thank you :)

·
Registered
824 Posts
Bobby is a quiet little chap but sometimes he does make a noise. I was wondering if you could help me figure out what they mean.

1.When he's sitting on my shoulder or in my hair there will be an occasional, very quiet "cheep". Does this mean he is content, or unhappy?

2.When I stand next to his cage he will make a quiet "cheep". Is this a "get away from my house" kind or noise, or a hello? He also does it when he's on the floor before I go to pick him up.

3.Loud "cheep", a dozen or so in a row. This is rare, but can be at any time of the day when in his cage.

4. A "tut tut" kind of noise over and over. I copy him by clicking my tongue on the top of my mouth. He does this in his cage.

5. I can only describe it as grinding his beak. He sounds like he's eating seeds but he's not. He does this either in his cage or when on my shoulder/in my hair.

This one isn't a sound, but he fluffs up and rubs/rests his head slowly on his toys. I noticed him doing this when on my shoulder. He was rubbing against my dressing gown. Does that mean he's happy too? He looked happy :)

Thank you :)
Fluffed up and rubbing against is his way of scratching himself.
The beak grinding means he's content.
Tut tut -- I don't know and the cheeps are a sign of being happy.
The loud cheep 10 times in a row in my house means -- I want something different to eat or at bed time he's saying put my cover on PLEASE!!

·
Super Moderator
12,210 Posts
The loud cheeps could be that he's calling you if you are not in the room. Soft cheeps are happiness. Beak grinding means I'm content and just happy to be on your shoulder. The other tut tut not sure. When Baby is mad she makes a pfft sound and snaps her wings.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Agree -- the loud cheeps I hear when I leave the room.
It's funny but if I say bye bye or I'll be right back -- he doesn't cheep.

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
If its a get away from my house cheep , then you will know it... The chirps that will come out of him then would make a sailors parrot blush...lol

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
If its a get away from my house cheep , then you will know it... The chirps that will come out of him then would make a sailors parrot blush...lol
It's definitely not a 'get away from my house' cheep. If he wants you to go away he will cuss you out in p'let language, chatter, click, and probably fluff his feathers out to appear threatening. (which is quite humorous)I sometimes get this reception when I have to put my hand in Tim's cage. I know it very well which explains why I'm so descriptive. Hee hee. It seems like most of the noises your bird is making express happiness, especially the beak grinding. The loud chirps may mean he's trying to get your attention. If you're out of the room, he's contact calling you. Timmy does that and if I answer him he quiets down.

The very first thing Timmy does when he wakes up in the morning is rub his head against his favorite toy. I always joke and say he's 'petting himself.' He also rubs his head against my thumb to give himself scritchies, moreso when he's molltng and itchy.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Kiwi's single "peep" sound usually means, "I want something" it can be me, or she wants her window perch. She will also make this sound when I scratch her, or if she wants to be scratched. If its a really fast chatter, body low, beak open, she is upset about something, like when the dog got to close trying to sniff her. She wasn't happy about that. A really loud sound means, "where did you go, hey come back" Beak grinding total contentment. Kiwi also makes this creaking sound. She does this when I pet her. She loves for me to cup my hand and starting at her head working down towards her tail. Kinda like petting a dog or a cat. I kinda relate it to how we feel when we get a massage. But she creaks. Other than those sounds she is so quiet, completely content while playing, eating, and sitting in her window.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I don't know if this is the same thing my bird does, but very rarely he will do this long..."trill" thats the best way I can describe it. It sounds like nothing he ever does, and its very rare that I hear it. The first time he did it, I turned and looked over and was like "WAS THAT YOU??" It sounded like some kind of wild bird call, but I don't think he has had enough time to learn to mimic any. Usually he'll be really quiet before and after he does it, so it doesn't come off as an excited thing. I have no idea haha :)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Kiwi also makes this creaking sound. She does this when I pet her. She loves for me to cup my hand and starting at her head working down towards her tail. Kinda like petting a dog or a cat. I kinda relate it to how we feel when we get a massage. But she creaks. Other than those sounds she is so quiet, completely content while playing, eating, and sitting in her window.

Luffy makes that creaking noise too haha. Not all the time but mostly in the evening if I pet him from his head down his back. I wonder if its a mad or a happy noise. He doesn't try to stop me. When he doesn't like something, he makes sure I know!

·
Registered
280 Posts
Kiwi doesn't try and stop me either, so my guess would be a happy noise. :)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Does anyones p'let chirp over you when you talk? Sometimes Luffy does that. He'll chirp only while I'm talking and be silent until I say something again LOL

·
Registered
824 Posts
Does anyones p'let chirp over you when you talk? Sometimes Luffy does that. He'll chirp only while I'm talking and be silent until I say something again LOL
Arrgghhh!! YES! Conway does this when I am on the phone!
I can sit and talk to my husband and he doesn't peep but as soon as I have the phone in my hand it's constant chatter until I hang up!!
It's almost like, "I know you're on the phone mom but I want attention now."

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
I don't know if this is the same thing my bird does, but very rarely he will do this long..."trill" thats the best way I can describe it. It sounds like nothing he ever does, and its very rare that I hear it. The first time he did it, I turned and looked over and was like "WAS THAT YOU??" It sounded like some kind of wild bird call, but I don't think he has had enough time to learn to mimic any. Usually he'll be really quiet before and after he does it, so it doesn't come off as an excited thing. I have no idea haha :)
Mine does this too... Once or twice a year I will hear it.. It is a very pretty long trilling chirp... I told hubby he sounds like a canary...lol

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
Timmy does that too. Sometimes he tries to compete with the tv. He makes sure he's always the loudest thing in the room.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Is it the sound that Koolaid makes in the peek a boo video? I love that sound, he sounds so happy and excited to play that game.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Mine makes the tut tut noise like clicking your tongue on the roof of your mouth and he does it when he is happy and excited. I do it back to him and he does it more.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Go go YouTube, type in "parrotlets" you will fine Koolaid and his peekaboo.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts