Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
He’s 1 year old and always jumps to the bottom of his cage whenever he’s startled by moving things (and did it to the point where he attacked/got startled by his mates and his millet treat), but sometimes he’s like this for no reason, even when I put calming music or ocean waves for him like this morning

The reason the paper is on top of the cage is because he consistently gets his wings stuck under it since he always jumps and lands on his back/wings which is why he looks like he has french moult (the other 2 females are healthy but they are annoyed by him so he gets bullied alot). He also has this super annoying screech whenever he’s like this which is clearly to back off predators but has given me countless headaches since there’s never a day he never falls/screams
Vertebrate Bird Pet supply Beak Mesh

Bird Vertebrate Beak Pet supply Bird supply

Bird Parrot Beak Cockatoo Pet supply

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
He almost always acts crazy in his cage, so I let it out but the same process repeats and whenever he excessively flaps his wings he bleeds from the wounds down there and honestly no matter what I try there’s absolutely no way to calm him down, even if I turn off the lights or play calming music, what should I do with him?

Knowing it gets startled by moving things (and never thinks there’s a threat even if it hears something and nothing is moving which is concerning considering it’s a prey animal), I cover his cage with a cloth so he thinks there’s nothing but eventually he falls to the bottom of his cage, flaps his wings everywhere and hits everything so he bleeds again.

·
Administrator
5,235 Posts
Welcome to the community. We are glad to have you.
We are also a parrotlet community and not budgie community. You might be able to get better info for that species from our sister communities talkbudgies and talkparrots. (Link below)
I am not sure what is up with your bird but you are definitely in a pickle. He looks like he is either mutilating himself or your other birds are doing it.
If I was in your situation I think I would start with a good avian vet to get him checked out to be sure he does not have any issues or parasites like mites chewing on him and causing him to chew.
I am also alarmed by the "he always jumps and lands on his back/wings" statement. Birds normally do not like being on their backs. It makes me wonder if he is having some sort of fits which is why a vet trip is necessary.
I would also remove him from the area of other birds and animals to be sure not to aggravate him or them.
How much sleep is he getting? Lack of sleep is a big issue with birds and cause all sort of hormonal and bad behavior. Make sure he gets at least 12 hours of quiet / darkness a day.
Hope that helps some. I do not have budgies so my knowledge of things specific to their species is a bit sparse.

-OZ

Reactions: ginziputzi

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ahh how embarrassing! I didn't realize I was in the wrong community-thanks!

He gets enough sleep, about 9-10 hours at night and he often rests throughout the day and regularly preens himself, though the wing and tail feather he grows always fall off if he flaps them too much, and has always been biting and attacking anything close to him, likely due to history of being bullied by other budgies and being grabbed.

We have him separated in a different cage not too far away from the other 2 so he can still hear them, though he still gets startled by the smallest things and movements (and gets super aggressive if absolutely nothing moves or hears nothing.

ill be sure to post on talk budgies, thanks so much for your time! I appreciate your feedback

·
Super Moderator
3,573 Posts
Hi there. I hope you are able to resolve your issues with him. He looks very sweet but indeed very stressed as I am sure you are. Looking at him and hearing of his falling makes me think he needs to see an avian vet as well. I am sure you will get some good advice from the budgie forum too.

Reactions: ashar24
1 - 5 of 5 Posts