Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had a few members asking for details about my 1 year old pacific Wendell and his ability to talk. He was hatched by breeders on the Sunshine Coast in B.C. and hand fed by very caring bird lovers at a pet shop in West Vancouver called Noah's Pet Ark. I got him at 11 weeks and continued to spoon feed him with a pablum like mix and then slowly introduced Roudybush Maintenance which is the staple of his diet. Wendell began to talk at about 6 months and was at first difficult to understand, but quickly improved. I did not make any specific effort to teach him to talk, but I do talk to him constantly and he seems to love it, always paying attention and focusing directly on me. He has a vocabulary of 20 or so words and 8 or 9 phrases. Besides learning words, he has recently shown the ability to mimic, repeating words he has only heard 10 or 15 times. An example of this is when I asked my Mum to check in on Wendell when I was away for a full day. The following morning when I uncovered his cage he dashed up to me and said "you're so cute" and then "you're a cutie" clear as can be. After thanking him for the compliment, I realized I had never said those phrases to him. My Mum had said that to him the previous day, no more than 10 or 20 times. His collection of phrases include: "come here you", "come see me", "pretty pretty pretty", "good morning wendell", (which he says without fail when I remove the cover from his cage) "how's wendell", "where's wendell", "is that good?", "that's for wendell", and the most amazing is "oh wendell, you're the prettiest bird in the whoooooole world". I don't remember saying this to him more than a couple of times yet it is his favorite phrase, sometimes repeating it to himself or his bell for 20 minutes or more.
Please feel free to get intouch with me for more info I will pass on any help I can as well as Wendell's most recent words......
Stephen

·
Registered
794 Posts
Wendal is soooooooooooooooofabulous! Stephen, Bitsey Jo has a bell for a friend also HAHA. Thanks for the posting I always want to hear about Wendal...memmey

·
Registered
38 Posts
Booger is also a good talker. he is 19 months old ad loves to sit in his cage and practice . He says :
step up
good boy
give mom a kiss
pretty bird
peekyboo
booger bird
kitty kitty
and sometimes will sing his version our song booger bird up high in banana tree.
But he sings booger bird up high pretty bird.
He is very interactive with noah my cag. their cages are on opposite sides of the room and they actually talk back and forth it is to cute.
Linda

·
Registered
794 Posts
Linda, Booger talks like that too? I would give anything if B.Jo would say just one word but just as I have read she makes robotic little sounds. She may be talking but I don't understand it. Does Booger eat fresh food?...Jo will not and I mean will not. I've been told to cut it different I'm gonna try that. She's a little stinker. After all this time I'm still trying...mem

·
Registered
38 Posts
Booger will eat anything that is given to him! His cage is beside my chair and if I sit down with a snack he is right there wanting his share. He has a HUGE cage and gets around mach 90 to see what I have. I only have 1 fid that is a picky eater but I still make him a supper plate every nite in hopes that someday he will get brave and try it. Even my newest parrotlet baby bird is eating the goodies!
Linda

·
Registered
794 Posts
I was at another site a few minutes ago and they said to put some pureed vegtables in her cornbread, and another said to feed her p'let baby food. All I want for Christmas is consumption of just thing fresh from Jo, is that too much to ask? I'm gonna trick her with the cornbread thing, HaHaHa

·
Registered
794 Posts
How's wendal /where"s wendal hey stephen thanks for the post. Little Wendal what a great friend . What made you decide on getting a P'let? You couldn't have chosen a better one I was just wondering about how you came to have him?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Also I've been told that if they see you eating something and enjoyin it they will want it too! But so far that hasnt worked with Bobbie my conure.
The only thing he will eat besides his pellets are nutriberries. One other thing my birds really like are Finger foods made by gerber they are little star shaped treats that come in fruit and veggie flavors. I bought these for my grandson and decided to offer them to the birds and they were a big hit!
Linda

·
Registered
514 Posts
Memmy - about getting birdies to eat- my experience

Bitsy is 12 weeks old. I've had very good luck getting him to eat. In fact, he sometimes (often) chooses my food offerings in preference to his seed. I am fortunate that he will taste foods from my hands. Sometimes, I hold a bite of the new food, let him taste the new food, then put it in his dish. Here are some of the things that have worked for us:
-broccoli flowerette stuck through the cage bars
-birdie bread - he loves it! I used Jiffy mix, 1 egg with shell, applesauce, baby sweet potato, and a handfull of mixed veggies; then thinned with juice. Blended all the above, then stirred in bird seed.
-he loves mixtures of baby food and fresh fruits and or veggies.
-he likes all of the fresh food best when I chop it finely in my Cuisinart.
-scrambled egg, boiled egg, rice, etc. mixed with baby food and chopped
Almost forgot! Another thing that has helped was something I read on a board somewhere - put the "fresh food" dish higher in the cage than the seed dish. I've done that for a while now, and it does seem to make a difference. Good luck!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts