Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Archimedes, my darling dilute blue, has had watery poops on and off for three days. Maybe more. It started off as a normal poop, with relatively small solids that were rather green. This didn't worry me, as I'm changing him to a pellet and seed/legume mix that is fairly high in dried fruits and vegetables.

Today was his most alarming. He may have just had a lot to drink, but his poo was almost completely cloudy water, with little to no solids.

He's been throwing seed hulls into his water this week and so I'm worried about an infection from gross water.

Should I continue to monitor him? He's acting normal, very chirpy and happy. Doesn't appear sick, clean vent, clean nose and eyes. Or is this reason enough to call into a vet? :confused:

·
Premium Member
12,210 Posts
How often to change out his water? Is it a plastic water cup? If you change it daily the water should not be gross. A lot of birds like to dunk their food in their water.

If this has been going on for several days I would would monitor it and make a vet appointment. You can always cancel the appt but they do hid sickness very well. I always trust my gut If I am worried they go to the vet.

·
Super Moderator
5,100 Posts
Has he lost weight? Tumi has a varied diet, so some of his poops every day are less formed if he hasn't eaten seed or something dry in a bit. As long as you don't let "birdie soup" ferment, it shouldn't be a problem. Most birds make it every day - just change and clean when you catch it, and fresh water each morning. I put two drops (literally) of organic apple cider vinegar in Tumi's dish to try to prevent the soup from getting gross before I get to it, but I'd ask a vet before doing that.
However, if he loses weight or his behavior becomes sleepy/lazy, definitely to the vet he goes. And if you are too worried to function, to the vet he goes!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, I'll keep these things in mind.

I'll email my vet and see what they think. I'm just concerned because he's never had irregular poops due to stress or anything!

Could it be excess sugar in his diet?

·
Registered
5,685 Posts
Hmm...if there has been no significant food change, but the droppings have changed, I'd take note of that...and cast a watchful eye. If I had a strong 'feeling' something was up, I'd be visiting my vet. Good luck...I hope all is well!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts