Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Hoi
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ummm...
It came to me this morning, what if Kiwi and Avocado are mother/daughter and not sister/sister?!
Because Avocado is bigger than Kiwi and acts more mature/laid back, and only gets protective over their cage and Kiwi, while Kiwi gets protective over everything and is always bouncing off the walls (I'm upgrading their cage bc of this lol).

What if Avocado is Kiwi's mom and not her sister??

Should I get them DNA tested for age?

·
Super Moderator
4,833 Posts
Can you get a DNA test for age of a bird?

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Would it matter? Birds are different. My two boys are night and day. some birds are over protective and dont like change and some birds flourish.

I dont remember are they caged together?

·
Registered
Hoi
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Would it matter? Birds are different. My two boys are night and day. some birds are over protective and dont like change and some birds flourish.

I dont remember are they caged together?
I'm not saying to matters, they're still my birds and they're still themselves, I just thought it'd be interesting if they are related in a diffrent way I thought.

Yeah, they're house together, they have seperation anxiety and I don't want to seperate them

·
Registered
484 Posts
Can you get a DNA test for age of a bird?
No, DNA wouldn't tell you the age of an animal. There's a theoretical possibility if you could measure the lengths of telomeres but it's not a possibility in practice as far as I know. Even then, if you were measuring biomarkers for signs of aging it would only be your "biological" age and not your actual chronological age. Same principle I imagine for animals as humans.

Regarding whether they are mother/daughter because of their behaviour, I don't think the behaviour is indicative of their age/relationship. Birds all have different personalities and at this age, they will be fully grown. Monty is a small parrotlet (27 g) but I know that some parrotlets can be much larger. Doesn't really say much about the age, same way that I am significantly taller than my sister :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts