Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone feed their bird Volkman’s Parrotlet Diet?

I ordered some online – got the order and there is a TON of Safflower seed in it – so much so, that its all you can see – In the birds cups it all seems to be sitting on the top and they will have to search if they wanted to find the other smaller seed mixed in.

I had gotten a Zip lock bag of it from Penny’s breeder – it had a lot in it also but I had assumed she had mixed it herself and maybe went overboard – Guess this is just how it comes.

I’m thinking maybe I need to add some canary seed or something to it –

·
Registered
41 Posts
I wonder that myself. Does that seed come with so much safflower because they like it or because its good for them. I would almost prefer not to waste the money on seed that Cloud doesnt eat.

They only seed other than safflower and sunflower that hes eaten is in those cockatiel honey treats that they have to shred the box open to get to the seed.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
or you could just buy Harrison's and not worry...;)

My birds have a clean bill of health after 8 years.

Regards,

Art S.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had my last bird on Harrison’s as her main diet and I followed their feeding instructions. Their site was saying if you feed anything else besides a small amount of vegetables you wouldn’t get the full effects of the pellets. So I followed that.

After she died I felt I had deprived her somehow. I don’t eat as I should and love my ‘crap’ foods :eek: – so after she died I had wished I had given her treats and seed – I felt I had kept her on this restricted diet of Pellets and Vegetables her whole short life :(
The few times I did give her a sunflower seed she would pin her eyes the whole time while eating it – Such pleasure :D

So when I got Mr. Peepers I made the decision to include Harrison’s but not as his main diet. He actually likes it – of course he will pick other food if there is a choice – but I usually feed him the pellets when I have him out of the cage and he’ll chow on them. Although lately that doesn’t happen much as I have the girl in ‘not being afraid of me’ training :) so there is all kinds of food abound when they are out – I’ve seen her try the pellets but not sit and eat them like he does.

He was never a millet eater but because she eats it he will eat it now also.

Anyway that’s my pellet tale :)

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Pado,

i think we're doing the same thing - Harrison's for a base but lots of variety when possible.

Regards,

Art S.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Pado where do I order Volkmans from...I want to try b'Jo on some all she wants are the safflower seeds and when she has eaten them all then she goes for the others and as I have said a zillion times she will eat nothing else but maybe bread or cornbread. Not birdie bread oh no..... just seed. I do not fill her cup everyday I fill it every other day so she has to eat the other seed, she is a hard head . It makes me crazy but after all this time I just have learned that this is how she is and she way more powerful than me( shut up Art).

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Memmey – I ordered from http://www.birdseed.com/

Sandee Molenda gave me the link when I picked up Penny. The web site is kind of lame but you’ll figure it out.

A 4lb bag was only $3.20 – so I ordered some other stuff – Millet, Soaked seed etc to make it worthwhile. As a point of reference, it took 4 business days to get here. The company is in California and so am I –

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Chipper eats Topper seed, but she won't eat it plain. I put some of that and some Roudybush pellets in her breads. She likes my cookin'! She doesn't want to eat plain seed. She will eat Avi cakes and seed snacks though. They do need some seed, so much energy.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Pado, Penney's breeder developed (or helped develop) the Volkman's Parrotlet AS. I mix that and Goldenfeast Petite Hookbill Mix - that's what Bitsy gets - seed wise - every day. If you read the ingredients of those 2 seed mixes, it is amazing! Pellets aren't an option for Bitsy since he's a mutation. Sandee's experience/research says that pellets aren't good for mutations. I know there is some controversy on the subject, but I'd personally rather not take the chance with Bitsy - so I don't do pellets. I order both the Volkman's and the Goldenfeast from the same internet site - can let you know which one it is if you're interested. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Musicjan – I didn’t know Sandee helped develop the Volkman’s – she gave me some but didn’t mention anything about it, other than the website :p

Yes, send the link you use to purchase yours if you wouldn't mind – I think I need to mix the Volkman's with something - the goldenfeast would be something to look into – the Safflower seed is just way to much – in their bowels its all you see :mad:

I don’t blame you on the pellets – if either of mine were mutations I wouldn’t even offer the Harrison’s-

BTW Bitsy is so cute – his color is gorgeous :)

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
musicjan - Oops typo – actually the price was $3.50 for 4lbs not $3.20 [hey 30 cents is 30 cents] :D :D :D

BTW – how long does it take you to get your order ?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts