Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I visited a local breeder in Houston. Very nice fellow. He had tons of parrotlets and gouldian finches, aswell as some linnies. Birds were very healthy and all hand fed. I got to hold a few of them. I'm pretty excited. I think I'll wind up buying 2 from him. Very reasonably priced.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Glad to hear you found a good breeder :) thats always a load off. Word to the wise - be sure to get two unrelated birds - you have a better chance to avoid some problems down the road if they are not related.

Looking forward to hearing what you decide to get - Keep us posted ;)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Aiming for unrelated birds, but I don't really have any intention of breeding them. These will be pets.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I think there are members here that have related birds (as pets) that now pluck. It may be caused by other things, but I can't help but think them being raised/related together doesn't help. . . their instinct would be to leave the nest hole and find a mate unrelated to them, not try and mate with a sibling unless they were forced into that situation.

it's one of those things... better safe then sorry.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Parrotlets will mate regardless – Mine are Pets and I don’t plan to set them up to raise a clutch – but they mate often. As Catfish said when you have siblings there are issues involved as nature dictates not to pair off with a sibling. It can cause issues amongst the pair (providing the pair you get are opposite genders).

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm planning on keeping them in seperate cages. But accidents do happen, that's how I got my minniture pincher, Maverick. But I am aiming for unrelated birds.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
My pairs like to be near each other, but don't seem to have to be right on top of each other. As of right now they are in separate cages, but they won't be like that for long... as soon as hpnotiq's flight feathers regrow, she will move in w/ her beau.

Mine like to be in the same room together and like the option of being next to each other. It's a pretty common seen to have Gelato on me and Hpnotiq w/ my partner.... or him on the couch and her on me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts