Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Oscar is 5 months old, and he only eats seed. I rarely give him anything else, and when I do, he doesnt eat it. Ive been reading old threads and posts about their most ideal diet, and this weekend I am going to make an effort to give him some birdie bread, beak appetite, and try veggies.
This is a good start right?

My main question is, is it too late to introduce him to new foods? Is he too old? How hard will it be?

Do you have any tips on how to introduce the new foods?

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
No, it is not too late at all! I got Chipper when she was 7 months old. She would only eat seed. NOW, she doesn't really like seed anymore. It took months of giving her ALL kinds of veggies, I mean all kinds. Cut up, whole etc, to find her favorite ways to eat them. She used to like them cut up teeny tiny. Now she like it all large. She also loves birdie breads and tiel cookies I make for her. You can try Beak Appetit too.

Strawberries are yummy, apples too. Broccoli, greens, celery, carrots..She loves them all.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I got Tommaso when he was 8 weeks old and he would not eat his vegetables. The breeder recommended I try chopping up the vegetables real fine. I took broccoli and carrots and chopped them in my food processor. After a few days, he finally started eating the vegetables. He will eat his vegetables whole now without me having to chop it up. To this day, he still won't eat fruit. I also now cook him a rice mixture with beans. It took him awhile, but now he loves it. I don't think it will ever be too late to introduce Oscar to new food. It just may take a few times for him to get use to it. He's certainly not too old. He's still a youngster. :D Good Luck.

Morena

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hi Nick,
I hope that you are feeding your breeding pair fresh food. They will need food that they can eat FAST to feed hungry chicks.Also, the male will be feeding the female while she sits on the eggs, as she rarely comes out of the nest.
Cooked brown rice seems to be a fav for Parrotlets. I give it to mine daily, along with corn, peas, kale,cooked bean mix, strawberries, apples, whole wheat bread.. just about anything that is good for us, is good for them...
Keep offering and eventually he will try. Also you can try to handfeed him some, like a piece of apple.
Start Oscar as soon as possible. The breeder should have given the babies fresh food right from weaning.. which starts them on a lifelong pattern of eating well!
Good luck!

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its not the breeder's fault...:(
It's mine. I handfed Oscar starting at 3 weeks old, up until he weaned at about 7-8 weeks. It was a great experience.
But I never knew how important it was for the varied diet.
So im starting to worry, but this weekend, i'm going to do some experimenting with all kinds of stuff for him ;);)

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Even if he doesn't eat it at first and ignores it or picks it up and drops it - keep offering, offering, offering - something every single day. Because out of the blue one day they will decide to eat it - He is still young and this is the best time to do it. You may feel at times like you are wasting your time and food but in the long run its worth it because once they eat one thing they are more prone to eat others and it snowballs from there and its a great feeling for you when they do.

I had pet store Parakeets that took me almost a year to get them to eat vegetables - when they started to eat the vegetables it became the food item they looked most forward to - it was the first bowl every morning to be emptied.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Yep, don't give up. It can take a really long time. It is so worth it when they eat well. Lots of fun to see them eat the various foods and of course it is good for them.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Don't give up and try chopping the veggies really fine. Mine wouldn't eat em until i purchased a little mini chopper and whizzed them up into very small bits. Also, i had to put it in the cage several times before he decided to taste it. Now he eats EVERYTHING!

·
Registered
89 Posts
It took Kismet a long time to eat something other than seeds. He liked to play what my boyfriend coined "the eating game!" where we'd put him on his play pen (what my boyfriend and I call "the summer home") and feed him his favorite seeds by hand or put them on a post but then slip in something new, like pellets (it took us a long time to get him off the seeds, he still won't eat pellets unless by hand or via "the eating game") or broccoli.

Just keep trying!
Now Kismet is very adventurous; he'll try something new easily, but you'll definitely know when he doesn't like it! :D

·
Registered
514 Posts
I find that chopping the food really fine - as suggested - really helps. Also, stir a little seed into the fruit or veggie. That tricks them into tasting the food while they get the seed out. I mix about 3 things together (whatever is on hand) - for example, broccoli, carrot and corn. I put it in my small food processor until it's little pieces. If you offer a variety, eventually, he'll start eating some of the things. I would offer different things 2 or 3 times a day.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Most definitely!

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
I used to make a birdie mash for Chipper. I still do for my little dog that I homecook for. Anyway, you don't have to make it a paste if you use a food processor. It can give a nice fine chop and not be a paste.

I make it with a cooked sweet potato, and a big bag of frozen veggies that also has beans of all kinds. This is a nice variety- I love it.
Chipper has stopped liking that. She wants BIG pieces of veggies now.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I just give chunks of veggies to Gelato and he tears into them. He only eats the brocolli if it is larger then his head.... otherwise he tosses it out of the cage. Same thing with the carrot chips.

THe only fresh food he will eat that isn't bigger than his head is fruit. I never really thought about trying the birdie bread or any of the bake stuff....

·
Registered
514 Posts
I really don't personally think the blender would work as well, because it would indeed make a paste - ugh! A food processor just makes little chunks. If you don't have a food processor, I think itwould be worth getting an inexpensive one for Oscar!

·
Registered
89 Posts
You can set new blenders on chop or dice -- just keep an eye on your "goo!" ;)

1 - 20 of 58 Posts