Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a bit of a scare yesterday with Bijou, my six-year old female parrotlet. Out of the blue she started to look dazed and sleepy with tail bobbing. There was also a clicking noise in her breathing and her voice was really off. It was alarming enough that I called the vet only to get voice mail - apparently they're closed until Oct. 20. Freaking out a bit I cleared my schedule for the following day and then proceeded to monitor her. Then all of a sudden, about an hour later all the symptoms were gone and have not returned.

While I'm not 100% sure what happened, after going through all the possible causes I've concluded that a piece of kale stem got stuck in her throat somewhere. I usually feed my p'lets dino kale or collard greens for their leafy green veggie. However, this week they've been getting russian kale which has a really tough, fibrous stalk that runs through it. I thought it would be good to give (chopped up of course) because of the calcium and keeping their beaks trimmed, but it's definitely not worth the choking scare. From now on I'm going to be completely de-stemming leafy greens from stalk to leaf tip. Also, a good reminder to avoid stringy fibrous veggies like celery stalks.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts