Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How close does UV lighting have to be to a bird to get it’s full benefits?

·
Super Moderator
4,781 Posts
I tend to keep mine about 18 inches above the highest perch and run it a bit longer.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I’m curious, if my parrotlet is getting direct sunlight everyday (minimum of 2-3 hours daily) do I still need to have a UV light?

·
Super Moderator
4,781 Posts
I’m curious, if my parrotlet is getting direct sunlight everyday (minimum of 2-3 hours daily) do I still need to have a UV light?
if they are getting direct sunlight you are fine. The problem is that most people mean sunlight through a window of a modern home, which tends to be through glass with UV protection that filters out the UVA and UVB frequencies needed.

·
Registered
41 Posts
if they are getting direct sunlight you are fine. The problem is that most people mean sunlight through a window of a modern home, which tends to be through glass with UV protection that filters out the UVA and UVB frequencies needed.
Oh I see. I have a smaller cage I use to take Scooter outside daily. He enjoys it so much… singing and swinging. ☺

·
Super Moderator
4,781 Posts
Oh I see. I have a smaller cage I use to take Scooter outside daily. He enjoys it so much… singing and swinging. ☺
Then you are good. You really don’t need much direct sun light. A few hours a week should be enough for a young healthy bird. The only thing I do when letting them out for direct light is put a bit of cloth over part of the cage so they can get out of the sun if they wish.

Reactions: Healyx5
1 - 6 of 6 Posts