Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my pair of blue parrotlets from a bird show. They were purchased as a bonded pair - though no mention was made of them being a breeding pair.

A few short months after I got them, they laid 2 eggs in the wooden nestbox I had provided them. One of the eggs was not fertile, while the other was. The chick was born alive, but died on the second day.

Since them, I have not seen the parrotlets mating at all. They still are devoted to each other, but no sign of mating and no more eggs.

I even downloaded a video of parrotlets mating to play for them. I'd heard if parrotlets can hear other parrotlets it may get them "in the mood", shall we say.

They chatter and seem excited when they hear the video birds, but still no mating.

Has anyone encountered this issue before, or does anyone have any ideas? I called the breeder who sold them to me, and he is stymied. :confused:

Thanks for any info.

Connie

·
Registered
489 Posts
I thought you weren't supposed to breed blue to blue? Or yellow to yellow, etc.

I don't know how to answer your question either, I'm sorry. Perhaps it's just not the right time of year so the lighting and conditions aren't right.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Just out of curiosity why can't you breed Blue to Blue ect. ?
My pair didn't breed for two years and then they just started mating and laid six eggs out of the blue. I hadn't set them up for breeding though. I'll let an actual breeder answer your question. Wish I could help. I'm still confused about bird reproduction in general.
My friends have cockatiels who laid one successful clutch once, but since then they mate everyday and have never laid eggs since!

·
Registered
489 Posts
The way I understand it, breeding blue to blue or yellow to yellow is like cousins having a baby in people. Not good, the genes are too closely related. Or something. I don't breed, that's just what I've read. My (blue) Herbie had 2 blue parents. I didn't know it was bad until I started reading.

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
My understanding is that conditions have to be right for the birds to feel they can successfully raise a clutch... right food ...right temps....right nest... I am not a breeder so have no idea what the exact right conditions are....but the birds know when things are not perfect and will not breed. Kinda like how in the wild some birds will not nest during a drought cuz they know there will not be enough food to raise babies and in good years they raise bigger clutches or may raise two clutches...good luck.

·
Registered
39 Posts
The way I understand it, breeding blue to blue or yellow to yellow is like cousins having a baby in people. Not good, the genes are too closely related. Or something. I don't breed, that's just what I've read. My (blue) Herbie had 2 blue parents. I didn't know it was bad until I started reading.

StephGee, you are right Unless the breeder really KNOWS the birds genetics background two visual blues should not be paired,.

Connie, did the breeder tell you the age of the birds?
I ask because when i was just starting and was talking to my mentor he told me not to buy already paired birds unless I really really knew the breeder because many will sell birds that are well problem breeders or are older and at the end of their prime.

Is it possible this happened?

Also what kind of diet do you have them on?
How many hours of light are they getting? With it naturally being shorter days you may need to use a light to give them proper "sun time"
Also making sire they have spouts and fresh foods helps them feel they will have enough good foods to raise young.

What caused the one chick to die?
Was he being fed? Crop full?

Personally i would not breed these two due to the coloring genetics and unknown background. Is it possible they could be paired with other birds to make 2 new pairs ?

If really set on setting up these two
I would remove the box for a month and than using the light and diet start to get them ready and than offer the box again. i had to do that with lovebirds once.

Good Luck
April

1 - 7 of 7 Posts