Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, well I found a new breeder who is an hour away from my house. She will be having baby parrolets available in a month or two for about the same price ($80 for green). She has no problems with selling me a hen, in my initial e-mail I told her why I wanted a hen and that I was not going to breed.

She seems happy with my e-mail an is willing to sell me a hen. Now I'm happy with this because there will be less chance of Gelato and the hen being related. Like I said, I do not want to breed them, but if nature calls I don't want incest to happen. This eases my mind some. So Gelato will be getting a new girl friend soon~

Oh and now I've got to figure out which one I want. I am partial to the normal greens, but they have blues for $150. . . it's a really good deal for a blue (imo), but I am leaning more to the greens. I seem to like the natural colors more. I'll talk with my partner (my partner's favorite color is blue). We'll see what happens.

I'll sit down and have a talk with them once they are older like my mother did with me. (my mom is korean and has a thick accent and speaks in broken english).

"I no care you go out. Just no bring home no baby. No baby!" Think it will work? :p

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
YEAHHH - Thats Great news catfish - and you are absolutely correct now you don't have to worry about them being related.

I'm partial to the greens also but either way Gelato will have his mate and thats all that matters - ;)

BTW your advice from your mother was absolutely hilarious - I'm still laughing! :D

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I heard it all the time when I was younger. Imagine Margret Cho's impression of her mom.... that's my mom, seriously.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
catfish,

Get whatever color you want, I just want more imitations and sayings from your mother!!! :D

Regards,

Art S.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay this is a good one. My mom was in the kitchen and my sister and dad were at the table. She jumped up on the counter and was cleaning the top of the cabinets (you know because people will just jump up there to see how clean it is and judge you), she does that about once a week.

My dad made a comment and my mom turned around to say something in Korean when WHACK WHACK WHACK! The kitchen fan was on and she leaned into it, which hit her on her forehead.

She fell back and her hair was standing up from the wind (much like the bride of frankenstein) and she had a red line running across her forehead. My sister and dad started to just laugh because mom was okay and she had this crazy confused look on her face with a red line across her forehead and hair standing on end.

She then yelled, "I DIE, YOU LAUGH?! What kind family I have!" Which resulted in more laughter.

Another one was when my mom and I were arguing, and I used a statement my dad used on my mom when they were younger. They were fighting and my dad said, "Whoopi!" my mom didn't understand what that ment, she thought it was something bad, so she said "You mother whoopi!" My dad then explained to her what it meant.

Well I told her "Whoopi" and since she was mad she followed up with "You mother whoopi." Of course I just started to laugh while she had a puzzled look on her face, and then it clicked. She laughed and said, "Oh. I you mother. I whoopi." This ended our little spat.

I'll post more if I can remember them.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
I love Green. Practically my whole wardrobe is green :)

But my pet store sells blues at that price too. I am having a hard time deciding on color. :confused:

I saw this beautiful female blue about 2 months ago. The lady at the store said that she was giong to get more blues in from St. Louis. And I got Kiwi from the same store. She said she got Kiwi from Mt. Vernon from a first time parrotlet owner finding mystery eggs in her cage.

So I know I am not getting a parrotlet from the same parents or genetics.

IMO That is hilarious! :cool:

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think I'm going for a green. The blues look pretty, but I like the natural coloring. The $150 is a great deal for a blue, tt sure beats the $400 my 1st breeder was charging for a blue. I like the idea of them matching :D

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So I emailed the breeder and said I'm going to get a normal green hen to match my male. And I've decided on the name. I was going to name her Sorbet, to match the dessert name I have for my male (Gelato). But, I think I'm going to go with Gherkin.

That name word has been stuck on my mind for about a week now. I like the name Sorbet (which was my rescue budgie that didn't make it), but I dont think that will suit a parrotlet. Plus now I can call them the Gs. Gherkin and Gelato. . . ewww that would be a terrible combo when eating. Could you imagine it? Eating basically a very dense ice cream and a sweet gherkin pickle... GROSS.

I love the names though. So as soon as I get my hen, I'll post pictures of Gherkin and Gelato~

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Thats great news catfish - I LOVE the name and she's green like a pickle too :)

I think pickles and Ice Cream work for some pregnant women don't they :p

Not that Gherkin will ever be in that pickle (no pun intended) just like my Mrs. Penny Peepers better never be - "I no care you go out. Just no bring home no baby. No baby!" :D :D

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Okay so the breeder e-mailed me again. She's not sure what color/sex the first hatchling is yet (of course). She says I have first pick of a female hen. She'll then send me pictures of the baby 2x a week plus general information as it ages. She'll let me know what type of food she is feeding the baby and what toys it likes best.

I really, really, REALLy like this breeder. Dr. Huckabee does breed good parrotlets and they and all his birds are in great shape, but I really like this new breeder so much better. She has the same passion without some of the odd behaviors. :D

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
great job finding the breeder!

We shouldput together a veted breeder list!

Breeder 1, good birds, weird breeder behavior. Breeder 2 (yet) unknown birds, no weird persnality traits in breeder.

Also, I love the name Gherkin!

Regards,

Art S.

PS. If you remember more Mom stories, keep them coming!

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Probaly a baby blue too for me. I love Green, but Kiwi is my one and only.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, I've got good news and bad news. This the greens' first clutch, which seem to always be a disaster. The first hatchling didn't survive. She is going to candle the remaining eggs Thursday to see if there are any fertile eggs.

So, if there aren't any viable eggs, I told her I will purchase a blue. A blue isn't my first choice, but I do want to get a hen soon and color doesn't really matter in the end, just the happiness. This may mean that Gherkin will not be, and I will have to come up with a new name. I just can't name a blue hen Gherkin. I've yet to see any blue pickle, and I would be scared to ever try one if there was one.

Now I am going to try and determine a new name for the more possible blue hen.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
You're exactly right - color isn't the most important (thats just a human preference thing)

Hopefully the rest of the eggs and hatchlings will be fine - fingers crossed

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
catfish,

What's the bluie liquer called? I call it Tidybowl :D but I know it has a nice fancy name.

Regards,

Art S.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts