Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I haven’t been here is a while – I’ve been keeping myself busy on the web and bird forums gathering information. I have been very fortunate to have received some very valuable guidance from a very knowledgeable Parrotlet owner on one of the forums.

Mr. Peepers over the past few weeks has become very attached to a certain toy – with spring upon us he has decided this toy is his mate. Although he still comes out to interact with us humans on occasion – he for the most part - has cage bound himself to be with this toy - Lavishing all kinds of attention on it and getting nothing back in return.

Feeling for him and knowing in my bones this is just unfair and unnatural for him – I believe being in ‘love’ with an inanimate object, for however long it lasts, will cause him great frustration and in the long run is not best for his mental wellbeing.

I’ve come to understand I can provide very well for him – a large cage with lots of toys, proper nutrition, a stable home and good overall care – but all I can give him for what he most craves – companionship - is two hours a day of my time - after I return from work – and god help him if I have to work late or occasionally have another engagement on the odd evening.

Realizing this, I am not surprise he bonded to a toy – something he has with him 24/7 – that constant companionship that all Parrots are wired for and crave and need.

After much consideration and guidance I have decided to get another Parrotlet.

I understand there is a possibility they will not be able to live together and I am prepared for that – but from what I’ve learned about how Parrots are wired I truly believe they will.

I have an appointment with Sandee Molenda from the Parrotletranch on Saturday to pick up a young Pacific female Parrotlet – who will become Mrs. Peepers.

Wish us all luck - :)

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Good luck Pado!

If you do so, I highly recommend upgrading to a cage like mine where you can separate them as needed. I made a Plexiglas divider for mine so that the birds can see each other but they cannot bite each other. If you are not breeding them, this will be important!

Regards,

Art S

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Yes, some parrots do this in the spring time. I hope they get along really well. Some do and some don't. Will be fun to see the new baby!

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks everyone -

Art - having two yourself - you probably think I'm crazy :eek: but I'm determined to make this work - I weighed the pros and cons and felt the constant bird companionship far outweighed the potential problems.

If there are issues between them I was thinking since the side panels of my cage come off - I would order another of the cage style I have and place them side by side.

The only issue with that is the lip of the cage stands butting against each other [if you notice in the pic the stand has a 1" lip] but I can retrofit that with additions to the Plexiglas divider.

I think two side by side would look pretty darn good :p

1 - 6 of 6 Posts