Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sunshine is 9 months old, I have had him for 6 months. He is not an adventurous bird but in the past week or so we have noticed a few changes.

He will now flutter around when I put my hand in for step up if it is during the day, I just wait him out and make sure he does a step up before I remove my hand. In the morning and evening he steps up no problem. Still can not take him out on my finger as he climbs off but I still try.

"No bite" seems to work better than rubbing his beak, he does not like his beak rubbed. but the words will stop him if I think he is going to go in for a chomp.

Finally he has started chewing on one of his chew toys. It has been in the cage for 6 months!

He now also comes out of his cage before he eats in the morning and hangs on a perch near me or on the top of his cage. Sometimes he does a lap or two and lands on his play gym and then chirps so happily and loudly as if he is proud of himself. His flying skills have improved so much. He was clipped when I got him and his feathers have grown out.

Having a barberer/plucker with my last bird it was a bit daunting to see so many feathers on the cage bottom when he went through his first molt. He was a bit grumpy for a bit but now he seems much happier. I kept waiting for the bare spots to appear but nope he just was a regular bird going through a molt.

I love to sit and listen to his sweet quiet chirps it puts me to sleep. In the midst of his "song" I think I can hear words. Possibly "hi buddy" "come on" and my laugh. He also will mimic some sounds I make to him.

The last time I put him in his travel cage and came home he hopped right into his big cage when I opened the door so maybe he is getting used to that as well.

Every now and then he will do that really loud yelling/chirping and I talk to him and he quiets down. My last guy used to do that on a regular basis. I think he now flock calls me when he is out of the cage and I leave the room. I call back and he quiets down.

I have not handled him much lately as I am trying to have him enjoy his flying around. I also have been super busy and the best way for me to handle him is to remove him from the room where his cage is and hang out.

And most importantly I have stopped calling him Huey lol!

So far so good, we are enjoying him, he is such a sweet bird.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Wow! I cannot believe that you have had Sunshine 6 months already! He is doing so well and it sounds like he is a happy little bird – You are doing a great job with him. 😉 Did you notice any color change after his first molt? The top of Cleopatra’s head was a light green when she was a baby and after her first molt, her feathers became a deeper green. The top of her head pretty much stayed one or two shades up to about the time she was about 2 years old, but now at almost four years old, the top of her head is three or four different shades of green. Just wondering if you have noticed any change in Sunshine? And congrats on no longer calling Sunshine Huey. lol I swear every time I watch Jeopardy, I think of Huey and how he loved it. 😊

·
Registered
65 Posts
Sunshine is 9 months old, I have had him for 6 months. He is not an adventurous bird but in the past week or so we have noticed a few changes.

He will now flutter around when I put my hand in for step up if it is during the day, I just wait him out and make sure he does a step up before I remove my hand. In the morning and evening he steps up no problem. Still can not take him out on my finger as he climbs off but I still try.

"No bite" seems to work better than rubbing his beak, he does not like his beak rubbed. but the words will stop him if I think he is going to go in for a chomp.

Finally he has started chewing on one of his chew toys. It has been in the cage for 6 months!

He now also comes out of his cage before he eats in the morning and hangs on a perch near me or on the top of his cage. Sometimes he does a lap or two and lands on his play gym and then chirps so happily and loudly as if he is proud of himself. His flying skills have improved so much. He was clipped when I got him and his feathers have grown out.

Having a barberer/plucker with my last bird it was a bit daunting to see so many feathers on the cage bottom when he went through his first molt. He was a bit grumpy for a bit but now he seems much happier. I kept waiting for the bare spots to appear but nope he just was a regular bird going through a molt.

I love to sit and listen to his sweet quiet chirps it puts me to sleep. In the midst of his "song" I think I can hear words. Possibly "hi buddy" "come on" and my laugh. He also will mimic some sounds I make to him.

The last time I put him in his travel cage and came home he hopped right into his big cage when I opened the door so maybe he is getting used to that as well.

Every now and then he will do that really loud yelling/chirping and I talk to him and he quiets down. My last guy used to do that on a regular basis. I think he now flock calls me when he is out of the cage and I leave the room. I call back and he quiets down.

I have not handled him much lately as I am trying to have him enjoy his flying around. I also have been super busy and the best way for me to handle him is to remove him from the room where his cage is and hang out.

And most importantly I have stopped calling him Huey lol!

So far so good, we are enjoying him, he is such a sweet bird.
I remember you telling me I'd end up called Mooncake, Brucie and I do all the time. I'm glad you are enjoying him, he sounds like a lovely little bird.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow! I cannot believe that you have had Sunshine 6 months already! He is doing so well and it sounds like he is a happy little bird – You are doing a great job with him. 😉 Did you notice any color change after his first molt? The top of Cleopatra’s head was a light green when she was a baby and after her first molt, her feathers became a deeper green. The top of her head pretty much stayed one or two shades up to about the time she was about 2 years old, but now at almost four years old, the top of her head is three or four different shades of green. Just wondering if you have noticed any change in Sunshine? And congrats on no longer calling Sunshine Huey. lol I swear every time I watch Jeopardy, I think of Huey and how he loved it. 😊
I actually looked to see if he looked different. I didnt notice any difference. He does have very pretty colors and I got a glimpse of his wing span so pretty and full. White and purple colored.
Can you believe that no one tells me to put on "channel 2" at 7:30 but I remember anyway lol.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I remember you telling me I'd end up called Mooncake, Brucie and I do all the time. I'm glad you are enjoying him, he sounds like a lovely little bird.
Haha soon you will stop. Apparently I say Hi Buddy a lot so I guess somewhere along the way I gave up on calling him Sunshine a lot.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts