Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Today I had to pull the oldest 2 chicks out of the nest for handfeeding. Their crops were staying empty, and Mya and Plato are spending a lot of time out of the nestbox. The smallest one has a full crop, so I know they are feeding her well, but the bigger ones aren't gaining weight. I may have to pull the third one also, and just leave them the youngest to raise. I will give him a few hours and check him again..
I am kind of dissapointed, as I wanted to see them fledge.. but I'm glad I kept track of their weight, and I want them to thrive...
New pics in the albums, too.
~Angel~

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The oldest is 2 weeks, 4 days, and the second is 2 weeks 2 days.
1st one weighs 27g, but was 29 yesterday...
2nd weighs 25g, but was at 27..
today they are back up after 2 handfeedings. The are taking the formula well, and parents are doing better with the 2 left in the nest.
Hopefully they can stay there..
Thanks!
~Angel~

·
Registered
835 Posts
Yes, I see now. If they were a week or two older and mostly feathered we could expect them to be loosing weight to fledge. But they are much too young for that.

I am glad they are doing well with the hand feeding. Good luck with the babes! I know a breeder of lovebirds that does hand feed their babies ,but the parents are allowed to be with the babies as often as they like and can feed them if they like. I don't suspect this is an option with Plato and Mya right now unless they have been trained a great deal, but it has been such a short period of time yet.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
YEs, they are way to little to be loosing the weight to fledge...
they are doing great with the feedings. This morning I pulled the last two babies from the nest. They both had totally empty crops. Mya and Plato came out of the nest, and seem disinterested in the babies. The second 2 did great with the handfeeding also.
Plato and Mya are very tame. They just got defensive around the nest and cage, but today I let them out and Mya came running over to me to be picked up and played with. (she can fly, but loves to run on the floor)
Plato is tame, and likes to ride on my head.
I am going to put them into another cage today, and give them a rest!
I will allow them access to the babies, and see if they will feed them, or at least hang out with them.
I will post new pics as the babies grow...and have started to look for new homes for them...I know the next few weeks will fly by!
~Angel~

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks! and Yes, this was their first clutch. Plato and Mya are outside enjoying the sunshine, and have been playing in their bath dish! I will bring them in and let them out to fly and play, and see if they notice the babies. I am hoping they will still interact with the babies.
Oh, and I have a question for you Andrea.... I am assuming that you have had baby parrotlets, and I'm wondering if they all look alike (as far as color goes) in the beginning.. because I thought I had all blue babies, and today I noticed a green pin feather coming in on Ena, the oldest. Plato is split to blue, so I know I can get blue.. but just curious.
I posted a new pic in the baby album.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Sounds like they are relieved *L* maybe next time they will be up for the full challenge.

The pin feathers always look dark when they are young. You can tell their color once it pokes through at the end as you have seen. Once you have several cluthces you'll be able to tell even sooner. I got to where I could see the violet blue of my males before the feathers came out of the pin at all. It took quite a number of clutches before I could recognize that though. Seems like you can tell around maybe as young as 15 days from what I remember. I can remember examining them so closely looking for the new feathers to poke out! Seems like the chest feathers are where they might show first, or the tail...where did you see her green?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, they have been a happy couple today, and already trying to mate again... oh my... but the box is gone and tomorrow they get moved into a new cage, with new toys! Hopefully Mya won't lay eggs without the nestbox.

I see the green on the tips of the tail, and in the wing of the oldest chick.
Today I took a couple videos of them before I fed them..and in the second (new) video, in the babies album, you can see her preening for the first time... I am so proud!! AND, they are starting to walk around... they grow up soooo fast...lol

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Angel – sorry to hear you got the chick rearing responsibilities :) but Mya and Plato did a great job to this point. I’m so happy you were prepared and capable to raise the chicks.

The pics/video’s are great – thanks for sharing this experience with us - it is amazing to see how fast they are growing.

I hope all goes well for you with the hand rearing – keep us posted.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi Pado,
The babies are doing great. They change everyday, right before my eyes it seems. They eat well, and all have different personalities. SO far I have 2 green females and 1 green male, and the littlest one I think might be a male also. I was told that Plato was split to blue, but I'm questioning that now, because I would have thought I would have gotten at least one blue baby? Who knows!!
The oldest 2 are the girls, and they are picking at millet and pellets while they wait to be handfed. I put them in a little plastic container while I feed the littler ones..and yesterday Ena (the oldest) climbed out of the container.. I couldn't believe it!! So strong and feisty that one!
I post new pics almost everyday in my webshots... still haven't been able to figure out how to put pictures in the posts.. lol
thanks for asking about the babes.... so, would you like one?? lol.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Angel – that’s great news. I’m so glad to hear all four are thriving. Maybe the little one will be your blue boy ?!? :)

That’s awesome news they are picking at millet and Pellets – WOW it just seemed like they hatched – amazing how they grow and mature so quickly.

How are Plato and Mya acting? – Do they interact at all with the kids now?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes, they sure grow fast... I am taking pics every 2 days, and the change in them is incredible!
The fourth chick is a green girls... so I have 3 girls, one boy..all green/splits, no blues.
Still deciding if I will keep a baby or not. I'm getting very attached!
Mya and Plato aren't interested in the babies. They will watch me with the babies, but when I get close to them, they fly away.. that saddens me, because I thought they could teach the babies some "bird" things!! I'm not sure the recognize the babies as theirs.
New pics in webshots! They sure get messy when they eat!

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
For lack of a better word – W O W

They are COVERED in feathers!!! and EATING :eek: :eek:

They are toooooo cute – that one in the video looking at you the whole time – just adorable! :cool: :cool:

The ‘Bucket of babies’ just GREAT – I know some people don’t think bird chicks are cute but I sure think they are :)

I really wouldn’t want to be in your shoes right now – I know me and I’d HAVE to keep them all :confused:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts