1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I have a Pacific parrotlet boy.
He's not handtamed.
I've sat near his cage with door open.
He will come out and fly around he will climb onto a small cage if I put it near him when he is out.
If I put my hand in the cage he just flaps about.
I've had him approx 4 months.
Whatever I try he doesn't want to come to me.
I've sat with sprigs of millet etc.
He doesn't play with any toys.HELP.
White Yellow Pet supply Beak Line

The only thing he does is sit in his tent.

·
Super Moderator
4,781 Posts
Welcome to the site. We can help. We have a lot of experience you can draw from to figure your new little one out. While there are some commonalities among parrotlets they are all their very own unique beings and every pairing has to find their own way but we can give you some suggestions of what has worked for us in the past.

You say you have had your little one for four months. Is he a baby or an older bird? How and where did you get him? Breeder, store, private individual, rescue? Also what is you little ones name? He is quite cute in his cage.

Any luck finding his favorite treat? One he will risk much for? Millet is good start but there is usually something else that they love. For my Bo it was sunflower seeds, for Jules it was walnuts, Rio seems to be hemp seeds and maybe pecans. We are still figuring Rio out since he is new to us and us to him. Nuts are usually a favorite, hot seeds also seem to work in some cases.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi thanks for the reply his name is Godfrey.
Yes he was a baby.
It was a private seller he was in with 6 other parrotlets.
He eats cockatiel mix.
Won't eat any fruit or veg.
When I go close to the cage he opens his beak wide and raises his wings.
I just want to try to handle him when he's ready.
He won't take anything from me.
I don't want to stress him.
If u put your hand in the cage near him he just flaps.
My other bird is a 26 yr old black headed caique.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum.
Godfrey is very cute.
I love how you are very willing to just be patient with him, it's often exactly what they need. Just time, lots of love and respect.
Here's a few things you can try....
Remove the tent, we had one for Mooncake until we read up that they can be dangerous. Mooncake had become way too comfortable in his tent, he clung to it and never wanted to leave it, or his cage. We removed it and replaced it with a coconut that's two halfs that are kind of top and bottom with some shredded paper inside for him to have as a hide instead. Then changed his cage around and removed toys and placed them outside of the cage to encourage him to spend more time outside. I see that's not the problem with Godfrey and he does come out?
You can try cutting up veg really small and just put a few seeds in with them to get him to try the veg, I'm not suggesting starving him or anything but he may be more tempted to come out and take from your hand if he can only get seeds/millet directly from you. He may prefer sunflower hearts or hemp seeds, to millet.
The flapping when you put your hand in his cage is exactly what both my birds did. I didn't chase him around but would just put my hand in holding millet so he would realise I wasn't going to hurt him. Some people say don't do it inside the cage, it's his safe place but it might help him to understand your hands are not going to eat him. Mooncake lets me put my hands in his cage now but he just keeps an eye on what I'm doing and he'll chirp loudly if I touch something he doesn't want me to.
I know you're not new to birds if you have one that's 25 years old, parrotlets are really scared little things and they all seem so similar, I'm sure in time you'll get him to come round. I'm no expert at all I've had 2 parrotlets and they are both similar in some ways but also so different in others.
This forum is so helpful and so many members have fantastic ideas on what to do and how to help. I'm sure someone will have an idea that will work for you.
Good luck 😊

·
Registered
5,086 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Godfrey is adorable and he knows it! In this forum, you will get a lot of great advice, so never give up on us! We are not experts, but we have a collective experience that is really good. You are on the right track with Godfrey. Most parrotlets do have an agression to human hands being in or around their cages. But, never be afraid to put your hand inside of the cage. If Godfrey reacts, then slowly pull away. Keep trying to offer him a treat that he likes. Watch him eat his cockatiel seed mix and look for the seeds that he loves to eat! It is the first seeds he eats from his bowl. If it is a large seed, then you know it is a treat to him. Collect some of those seeds and use them to feed to him one at a time, through the cage bars.

I have had birds all my life and I am retired. When I had a bird who was afraid of my hands or fingers, I found a favorite treat for him/her and sat many hours next to a cage while feeding this seed to the bird. The bird started to accept my hand/fingers like a mother hen feeding her baby. After many times, all I had to do was sit next to the cage and offer a treat and the bird came running along his perch to my hand. With parrotlets, I used hemp seeds that were still in their shells. While feeding the bird the treat, I constantly sweet talked it and repeated his/her name, over and over. Like, " Here, Godfrey, here's a nice treat for you today! " " Godfrey, I love you so much! Come, Godfrey, get your treat ( or Yum Yum or yummies) etc. They get to know their name this way. Both my parrotlets, Bogie and Ricochet, knew their names and would come when I called them. Ricochet took the longest to grasp the idea it was his name. It took a lot of treats and me talking to him. A Lot!

Go to You Tube and you will see all kinds of videos on training the parrotlet. One video is , " How to teach a parrotlet to Step Up ". ( onto your finger). They also have " Gentle Beak " videos. But I must warn you, some information is not accurate. Also, look in our different forums and read the advice we have saved.

Godfrey is flying around and this is good! P'letts love to fly and they are good at it! Just make sure you have a safe house for him to fly around in. No glass, no ceiling fans, no mirrors, no food being cooked on the stove, no other pets, no open doors, etc.. Godfrey may not like your other bird at all and he may get to the point that he may attack it. P'letts usually like to be alone. Godfrey likes to see action and movement during the day, so put him in a place, a central part of the house, to where he won't be isolated. Play music or TV for him.

There's a lot to having a parrotlet. Keep us posted.

Dave

·
Registered
42 Posts
I would remove the yellow tent, since that fuzzy material can cause a crop impaction if he eats the fiber. Tents, huts, and coconuts can cause hormonal behavior and are not recommended.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum.
Godfrey is very cute.
I love how you are very willing to just be patient with him, it's often exactly what they need. Just time, lots of love and respect.
Here's a few things you can try....
Remove the tent, we had one for Mooncake until we read up that they can be dangerous. Mooncake had become way too comfortable in his tent, he clung to it and never wanted to leave it, or his cage. We removed it and replaced it with a coconut that's two halfs that are kind of top and bottom with some shredded paper inside for him to have as a hide instead. Then changed his cage around and removed toys and placed them outside of the cage to encourage him to spend more time outside. I see that's not the problem with Godfrey and he does come out?

You can try cutting up veg really small and just put a few seeds in with them to get him to try the veg, I'm not suggesting starving him or anything but he may be more tempted to come out and take from your hand if he can only get seeds/millet directly from you. He may prefer sunflower hearts or hemp seeds, to millet.
Godfrey is adorable and a lucky little bird to be so cared for!

I would second the suggestion to remove the tent. When we first got Tito we didn't get a tent, but we got this little purple fuzzy snuggle buddy thing that tied on to the cage and he wanted to be close to it a lot. Someone else mentioned crop impaction from consuming the fibers, too, and this is also a real concern that can develop unnoticed over a longer period of time and be fatal.

We also had trouble with Tito trying new vegetables. When he came to us he had been weaned onto a soak-and-simmer mix from Volkman's that isn't bad, and I would say healthier than any storebought seed mix, but mostly legumes, and not fresh so maybe not as many good vitamins and nutrients as he might need. We had great luck by taking some sprigs of broccoli and putting them between the cage bars, so he would get curious and follow his instincts to forage. Once he started tasting that, we started adding a little bit of finely chopped broccoli to his soak and simmer, then introducing other super finely chopped veggies (carrots are great, zucchini too) little by little, increasing the fresh veg and cutting down the amount of the legumes.

As long as you continue to be patient I am sure Godfrey will come around, you obviously have his very best interests at heart. I look forward to hearing more about his journey with you!

Best,
Cheryl and 💙 Tito💙

1 - 8 of 8 Posts