Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With a few exceptions, when I read Kathy's note regarding Nemo, I thought she was talking about Oliver. Oliver is almost exactly the same age as Nemo and has also done a complete personality change.

He is extremely aggressive if we even go near his cage. He tries to attack us through the cage and starts going back and forth chirping/jabbering really loudly. It takes a good ten - 15 minutes for him to calm down. Most of the time he stays on a perch in one corner of his cage. Previously, he was very active and was all over the cage playing, eating, drinking, etc. He hardly ever wants to come out of his cage and when he does, he starts biting and wants down and when he bites, he hangs on and won't let go. He has his little playpen he is content to play in for long periods of time. When it is time to put him back into his cage, the aggression & biting begins all over again.

There have not been any changes to our household, his food, water, or our routines. He sleeps 12 hours per night.

Does anyone have any ideas/suggestions for getting Oliver back on track?

Thanks,

Paula

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't know Oliver's exact age. He is somewhere between 10 and a half months and a year.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Just under a year is when my bird went through her "adolescent rebellion." I'll see if I can figure out the exact age.... She experimented with biting-- to see if it could be used to control people and get her way, I presume. I was instructed to remain totally unimpressed with the bites, even if they hurt. And I was told to gently take hold of her beak, if I could catch it quickly enough, and inform her in a serious, instructive, but gentle tone, "no beak." It worked-- she gave up on biting as a communication tool, and she also learned that I'm the parront and she's the fid.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts