Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First post; go easy on me :sneaky:

Here goes; I have a deposit on a P'Let from a breeder that is due to be ready in two weeks :love: I've had a deposit with her for months waiting on a turquoise male. During this time, I came across a local baby girl in need of a home and I took her in unexpectedly (this was not planned)! She is only 8 weeks old and was in rough shape when I got her but she's doing great now! That being said, I find myself in a predicament :eek:

I'm trying to decide if I should keep Tiki (the America yellow girl I have now) and cancel my other bird (and lose my deposit:(), or try to make it work with BOTH?
I feel like they're young enough that they could be introduced successfully :unsure:
their hatch date is only a few weeks apart

I know a lot of folks are against keeping them in the same cage, what is your opinion on this? Is it something I could work towards since they're both so young? What are the advantages/disadvantages? I'm told that same cage could be dangerous, but separate cages could cause incessant flock calling. Note: I have no interest in breeding and would not allow nest like materials

My other selfish thought is that adding the other bird will make Tiki want to be with the other bird more than me. My entire family has become very attached to her in a very short time so she is my first priority!

So many questions! I welcome any insight you have on this. Thank you in advance! :)

·
Super Moderator
4,893 Posts
It really comes down to the individual personalities involved both bird and human. It also depends on what you are after. If you want a very close relationship with your bird then a single bird is the way to go. With multiple birds you can still have close relationship but it seems to be a little less intense. They always have a buddy like them and they sort of prefer that but you can still have a very good relationship with your guys. I have had two parrotlets at once twice in my life (Bo & Jules). Once for about 9 months 10 years ago. The male (Bo) got ill and I had a single female (Jules) for about 9 years. When the girl started to fail about two year ago I started to look around and stumbled on my current bird (Rio). Jules basically help us train him up until it was time for her to move on. With (Bo & Jules) they were caged together. I was new to birds and it all worked out. With Jules and Rio they were caged separate with lots of out of cage time and it worked well also. Hope this helped. Feel free to ask any thing you want.

Reactions: TNParrotHead

·
Super Moderator
4,893 Posts
It really comes down to the individual personalities involved both bird and human. It also depends on what you are after. If you want a very close relationship with your bird then a single bird is the way to go. With multiple birds you can still have close relationship but it seems to be a little less intense. They always have a buddy like them and they sort of prefer that but you can still have a very good relationship with your guys. I have had two parrotlets at once twice in my life (Bo & Jules). Once for about 9 months 10 years ago. The male (Bo) got ill and I had a single female (Jules) for about 9 years. When the girl started to fail about two year ago I started to look around and stumbled on my current bird (Rio). Jules basically help us train him up until it was time for her to move on. With (Bo & Jules) they were caged together. I was new to birds and it all worked out. With Jules and Rio they were caged separate with lots of out of cage time and it worked well also. Hope this helped. Feel free to ask any thing you want.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you @ozzie3860 ! I'm so happy to see you respond! I have been perusing your previous posts and was looking forward to your feedback since it was obvious you parented more than one bird (successfully). It's interesting you used the word 'intense' to describe a bond, Tiki has become very attached and follows me everywhere I go (she is flighted so she fly's to whatever room I am in). I love it, but it can be "intense" at times to say the least :LOL:

·
Super Moderator
4,893 Posts
I have had good luck with pairs. So have a few other of our members. The big issue is that parrotlets are territorial by nature. That is why a lot of us prefer side by side cages where they can't get to each other for a bite but can see and interact when not out with a lot of supervised play time. From what I can tell the issue is if you get a very territorial or bully bird that is locked up with a more passive bird that can't get away. I have not had that issue myself. My first two were rescues that were already a matched set and liked each others company. I let them have lots of out of cage time. But they did have issues at one point since Jules was missing a toe. Just not sure when or where that was and by the time they fell in my lap they had their issues worked out. My second shot at it was more of a worry but did not happen. Jules was a very territorial bird. When I brought Rio home from the breeder I was expecting problem but it turned out she decided he was a baby and stepped into the mother role with teaching him how to be a big bird. If she would have survived I would not have been surprised if they did not end up being a pair. Rio did change our relationship to Jules a bit. We were still very good but not as intense. Head scratches were the biggest thing. Before Jules relied on us for scritches. Once Rio was there we still did scritches just she had a better option so she was not insistent. That is why you see me saying it depends on the personalities involved. You, Tiki , your family and your friends are a flock. The new bird will be an addition and it will cause everything to be rebalanced again as the flock dynamic changes. It seldom goes as you expect. It will be a surprise and a laugh a day. The other big thing is that it seems that two birds create about 3 or 4 times the mess. Not sure why but they do. On the other hand it is very cool having two birds flying around your head and landing on you. Rio and Jules were funny. They got territorial about me and my wife. So Jules would stake me out as "hers" then Rio would do the same for my wife. That would go on for a bit then they would swap. very funny. very neat.

·
Registered
5,152 Posts
From what I have observed in this forum since 2013, it is possible to have two p'letts at once, but for two of them to closely bond with you most likely will not happen. They will learn to be friends with you, but you will take a big chance with two. If they do not like each other, and this is a big possibility, you will have to have two cages and take them out separately. It does depend on the bird itself whether he or she will accept another bird. If you are experienced with parrotlets, then you might succeed with two, but mostly parrotlets are happy as single captive birds.

Are you thinking of getting a p'lett shipped to you this time of year? What kind of shipping? Breeders shouldn't t ship this time of year due to the cold weather and the delays. And, it is against the law to send exotics by the post office. Baby chics, dove quail, etc, it is okay. The post office will ship your bird, even if they know it is not legal. You might want to check into the shipping that your breeder uses. Delta airlines is the one of the best ways to ship.

·
Registered
110 Posts
First post; go easy on me :sneaky:

Here goes; I have a deposit on a P'Let from a breeder that is due to be ready in two weeks :love: I've had a deposit with her for months waiting on a turquoise male. During this time, I came across a local baby girl in need of a home and I took her in unexpectedly (this was not planned)! She is only 8 weeks old and was in rough shape when I got her but she's doing great now! That being said, I find myself in a predicament :eek:

I'm trying to decide if I should keep Tiki (the America yellow girl I have now) and cancel my other bird (and lose my deposit:(), or try to make it work with BOTH?
I feel like they're young enough that they could be introduced successfully :unsure:
their hatch date is only a few weeks apart

I know a lot of folks are against keeping them in the same cage, what is your opinion on this? Is it something I could work towards since they're both so young? What are the advantages/disadvantages? I'm told that same cage could be dangerous, but separate cages could cause incessant flock calling. Note: I have no interest in breeding and would not allow nest like materials

My other selfish thought is that adding the other bird will make Tiki want to be with the other bird more than me. My entire family has become very attached to her in a very short time so she is my first priority!

So many questions! I welcome any insight you have on this. Thank you in advance! :)
My quick thoughts….
1. I would absolutely not put them in same cage. Unless you want babies.🤣 They are too aggressive and it’s a matter of time before one gets hurt…or worse.
2. I would lose my deposit. It sounds like you and Tiki are bonded. And if she’s getting along with your whole family, that’s a really special thing. I say count your blessings and give all of your attention to Tiki. 🥰🥰🥰 She came to you for a reason.

That’s just my two cents. Welcome to the forum! I have learned soooo much here! Good luck with your decision!

·
Super Moderator
6,666 Posts
Everything Ozzie said is definitely true, I also had a pair. I lost the male in 2019 😭 he passed.
Lilly was the baby, Tobie was 10 months old when I hit him. They bonded instantly. In your circumstance I think it's most likely they will pair up easily. The well bonded pair will annoy each other sometimes but they will rarely injure each other. With a bit more effort you can bond with both of them as well but it won't be exactly the same as a single bird. I enjoyed Tobie and Lilly being bonded, they were easily entertained by each other when I didn't have time to hang with them and they did well outside the cage together just hanging out in the same location. You won't really be able to keep them from mating but you can discourage it. Mine did quite often, they were hard to stop 😂 but Lilly never did lay any eggs. I recommend a divided cage, I love mine for my pairs! I use the divider when I feel they need some alone time, I just put perches close to center so they can still reach each other to preen or did next to each other through the bars. I always let my parrotlet sleep together, they loved snuggles and kept each other warm.
Personally in your situation I would get your turquoise, I don't think you will regret it. If your up for a little more work and can afford all the extras and potential vet care.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts