Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay all. Tweet is a sweetheart, promise! He is aprox 16 to 18 months old (don't have is b-day right in front of me). He used to not bite that much and didn't have too much of a problem once he was out of his cage. He'd snuggle and all. Now, in the past couple months (after a move) he "attacks" my hand when I put in fruit or veggies for him to eat, he starting flying away/running away from my hand when I try to get him out of his cage. If and when that happens he then bites the crap out of me.
Is he just going through the adolescent stage??? I thought this couple of months would have given him the time to get used to the new digs of the house (not cage). I don't want this to turn into him just being in his cage 24/7....:confused: HELP!

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
tweetbaby welcome to the site - when you read through the forum you'll see you're not alone :p

If this is a new issue with Tweet and he was fine before the move then I'd go with the obvious - the move - its probably causing his temper tantrum. I'm surprised its lasted a couple of months so there might be more going on in his environment than just the move.

Besides being in a new house has anything else changed - for example, his cage or toys or the placement of toys in his cage - any new food dishes etc.

Has his routine changed? Getting out of cage time etc - have the hours of the people in the house changed - does it take longer for you to get home after work for example -has any people in the house changed?

Is he getting 12hrs of uninterrupted total quiet sleep?

My male P'let went through his hormonal adolescent stage at about 8 months of age - biting - fixating on toys - fluffing up etc - So unless Tweet is a late bloomer it is more than likely the move that has set him off. I'd first try to pinpoint those changes and try to address them to see if that helps.

Again welcome to the site and stay tuned I'm sure more people will chime in and give some more feedback.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks you guys. Going over what Pado said, I think it may be the move...plus some adjustments since settling in. The times people are around has changed, my hours have changed (not by too much though). He is getting his full uninterrupted sleep (is it normal for them to take a small nap every so often?). His diet hasn't changed too much, just added bell peppers. Only one toy has changed. So should I keep with the routine with him that I have started since the move and hope and pray he straightens up?

·
Registered
835 Posts
I don't really think routine changes upset parrots that much, I think it is when the routine change interupts something else. Our birds have routine changes constantly. But we have a consistent base of - diet, foraging, training, environmental enrichment, etc.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
First off, weetbaby, welcome aboard!

You are getting some good advice. I'll just add my two cents. I think it is a combination of both, the adolecent stage combinded with a new environment/routine. Is he in a spot where he is understurbed when he's sleeping? Is the window his cage is near facing the same direction as the one in your previous house (i.e. northern exposure produces very different light than southern exposure). My gut is that there is something making him a bit insecure and irritable in his new environment and this is his way of letting you know.

Andrea,

I am almost sure that Sparky's plucking began as a result of a temporary move to grandma's house. I wouldn't discount it. Our birds even had a personality change when they were relocated to a different room of the house.

Regards,

Art S.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts