Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All - I'm so glad you exist...I have been reading up on parrotlets for a couple of weeks now and just brought my first parrotlet, Trixie, home this past Sunday. I've always had budgies and as I was very attached to my last budgie, Maudie, I thought I would get an entirely new kind of bird. But i have a few questions...hoping someone or a few of you could easily answer based on your experience...:
1. Trixie seems to EAT A LOT! Should I put only a small amount (exactly how much) in her cup daily? She's about 4 mos old right now and I am feeding her organic pellets. I am training her with millet spray.
2. When should I introduce her to solid foods? ie: fruit, veggies? is it too soon?
3. I was told not to put a cover on her cage but since i live in NYC and she is in the main room of the apt, and my husband works very late hours, I decided to cover her so she could get a decent amount of sleep. Sleep never seemed to be an issue for my budgie, but it seems parrotlets really do need their sleep, correct?

I welcome any and all tips for new parrotlets "mothers"...i want her to be as nip-free and happy and trained/friendly as possible! Already I can see how much smarter she is than a typical budgie.

Thank you!
Trixie's Mom

·
Registered
5,685 Posts
Hello! My p'let is about seven months old, got her when she was between four and five months...basically I let her eat as much as she wishes, and from the start I was offering her soft foods, though it took my Sky a couple of weeks to start eating them.

Unless there is a weight issue, it is good to have them eat well and eat as much as they wish - you can track their weight with a gram scale, and it helps you know if health issues might be arising, because you can't always tell with birds by just looking at them. So, if suddenly they are losing weight, you will know something isn't right.

As for whether to cover, or not cover a bird, I've heard different views about this...myself, I cover my birds at night, and my p'let loves to be covered, and insists on it each night when she puts herself to bed in her snuggles. I do know others here choose not to do so, though, so it seems a matter of personal view, as well as the personality of your bird and what they like or do not like.

I'm sure others will have more to share with you...I'm pretty new to p'lets myself, and there are a lot of more experienced people with p'lets here with great advice.

Congrates on your new baby, and enjoy! :)

·
Premium Member
12,210 Posts
Hi Welcome to the forum! When you can we would love to see pictures of Trixie.

Little birds eat a lot something to do with their metabolism. That being said you don't want an obese little bird. I weigh mine every week on a gram scale to see how he's doing.

Fresh food should be introduced right away. The won't necessarily eat it right away but if you keep offering they will eventually eat it. I became a much better veggie eater once I got birds. LOL

I cover my birds and Baby would yell if I didn't cover her on time! Oliver sees me go for the cover and he goes to his nite nite spot and waits for kisses. I find my birds get grumpy if they don't sleep well and covering them ensures that they are getting their sleep especially since they are in my bedroom and I stay up reading. A well rested p'let means not getting nipped at.

Enjoy your little Trixie!

·
Super Moderator
4,742 Posts
Hello trixiesmom and welcome to the forum. You are going to love your new parrotlet, it can not be helped, something about their size, personality, attitude, etc.

Answers:

1) I asked this same question of my avian vet when I first got my guys. She said to make food available to them at all times and let them eat as much as they want. Because of their fast metabolism she seldom saw a fat parrotlet but when she did it was more a problem with what was being fed as opposed to the quantity of what they were eating. The key is to get them to eat a variety of nutritious foods and not allow them to get fixated on one or two fatty foods for a prolong period of time.

2) I think the consensus is to introduce them to fresh foods as soon as possible in the hopes they will get interested.

3) cage covering seems to be a matter of preference of the owner and the birds. I cant speak for everybody but my guys always was / are grumpy if they do not get their beauty rest. Somewhere between 10-12 hours on most days. Maybe more.

Hope that helps

·
Registered
11,181 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

As for your questions:

1. I feed my guys about 2tbsp of seed/pellet per day (each bird). For them it's plenty as there's always some left behind. But this ensure that they're not just picking out their favorites and only eating that. With that said, my guys also gets about 2 tbsp of fresh food daily too which they eat all of it.
2. You can definitely start introducing solids right now.
3. It's a personal preference. I used to do it with my first p'let when she was in the computer room and I was a high school student who would stay up late.

And please post pictures of your little one when you get a chance :)

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
Welcome! Parrotlets are quite the little firecrackers in comparison to budgies. But I have and love both.

As far as your questions, I limit my birds seeds only because otherwise they wouldn't eat anything else. I started with a larger amount and then watched how many leftover seeds there were each day and just adjusted the amount. Finally my parrotlet is at just 2 tsps of seed a day. I only use millet as a training tool. They always have access to pellets and fresh.

Since she's only eating pellets, I wouldn't worry about it.

Fresh can be offered asap. It will take her awhile to really warm up, but after they do, plets are great eaters.

Covering is fine if that is what is best for you. Since she is a girl, it is especially important she gets 10-12hrs of darkness. Yes plets like their sleep and usually like going to bed early. Versus budgies who stay up having fun as long as the lights are on. My plet goes to bed before everyone and gets really crabby if he can't for whatever reason.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You are all SO HELPFUL!!! Thank you! I'm finding that for sure, she likes the cover and I'm happy to hear i can fill her dish with the pellets and she can eat to hearts content bc she seemed super hungry yesterday when I limited it to a couple of tsps. I will start with the fresh fruit/greens asap.

One more question...I'm trying to train her to come to me and go to certain places she'll be allowed to play and land, by using the millet as a reward, per my avian pet shop where i purchased her. I'm most curious and uncertain about the nipping - after having budgies for years, her p'let beak is intimidating to me! I fear for my lips and ear lobes! So, are they that smart that if they nip you and you say "no" or don't give them the treat after the nip, they'll understand? I'm hoping if I can stick to doing the right thing, she'll be nip-less or close to nip-less bird! When she was really hungry last night and i went to move the millet, she lashed out with a nip and I knew I wasn't doing the right thing.

More tips, please! Thanks all! I'll post a pic soon. :)
Trixie's mom

·
Premium Member
12,210 Posts
You are all SO HELPFUL!!! Thank you! I'm finding that for sure, she likes the cover and I'm happy to hear i can fill her dish with the pellets and she can eat to hearts content bc she seemed super hungry yesterday when I limited it to a couple of tsps. I will start with the fresh fruit/greens asap.

One more question...I'm trying to train her to come to me and go to certain places she'll be allowed to play and land, by using the millet as a reward, per my avian pet shop where i purchased her. I'm most curious and uncertain about the nipping - after having budgies for years, her p'let beak is intimidating to me! I fear for my lips and ear lobes! So, are they that smart that if they nip you and you say "no" or don't give them the treat after the nip, they'll understand? I'm hoping if I can stick to doing the right thing, she'll be nip-less or close to nip-less bird! When she was really hungry last night and i went to move the millet, she lashed out with a nip and I knew I wasn't doing the right thing.

More tips, please! Thanks all! I'll post a pic soon. :)
Trixie's mom
See the sticky thread "Gentle Beak" In the bonding and Training Forum. Yes they are that smart. http://talkparrotlets.com/showthread.php?t=12871

·
Super Moderator
4,742 Posts
So, are they that smart that if they nip you and you say "no" or don't give them the treat after the nip, they'll understand?
Yes they are smart enough to understand and stubborn enough to nip anyway or maybe contrary enough to nip just to make a point and get a reaction.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
4 Posts
Kim Oliver's Mom

Hello everyone, this is all new to me. I just got Oliver a couple of weeks ago. He was hand fed by the breeder so already used to hands however i put a mirror in his cage which i think was a big mistake. All he wanted to do was sit by the mirror and didn't want to come out. I took the mirror away and now hold a mirror to get him to come out. Seems to be working well. Any tips on training would be a big help. He is my first Parrotlett.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Welcome & congratulations on finding your new friend.
It'll take a while for the two of you to figure good bites from bad. If she's like my boy she'll test & find your most sensitive spots. I've gotten a fat lip once or twice. But I knew I was risking it. We don't do lip kissing very often. The ear use to get nipped hard but we've found he right beak pressure. I like my ear nibbles now. It's how he kisses me hello.

Oh. I don't trust Peete near my eyes. He still tries to bite my eyelids

1 - 11 of 11 Posts